Dali Headphones
Oct 30, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #121 of 1,056
Thanks.

Previously I had XTZ Headphone Divine. Hi's were too much, but other than that, they sounded divine.

Bought KYGO A9/600 and they are way too boomy; mids and highs muddy.

So I like to hear tune as it supposed to be..

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #122 of 1,056
Some say, that these are bass light. I wonder how drum'n'bass sounds..

I don't think they are bass light at all. Depends on what you compare them with though.... During my audition I didn't listen to any drum'n'bass - but electronic music like Daft Punk sounded great. James Blake's latest also sounded excellent. I did, however, focus primarily on organic music and for that, they are truly exeptional.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #124 of 1,056
Has anyone tried to play with EQ with them?
How do the Dalis react to an increase in bass regions?

I fooled around with a few EQ’s just to see what could be achieved and all of them seemed to make things worse, it’s as if something blocks an EQ from working properly, i also tried the same with the Lagoon’s and M3’s and PX7’s and EQ’s work on them, strange. Honestly though the Dali’s are tuned so well for my ears that i wouldn’t use one anyway, it’s just interesting to see what can be done though.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #125 of 1,056
I fooled around with a few EQ’s just to see what could be achieved and all of them seemed to make things worse, it’s as if something blocks an EQ from working properly, i also tried the same with the Lagoon’s and M3’s and PX7’s and EQ’s work on them, strange. Honestly though the Dali’s are tuned so well for my ears that i wouldn’t use one anyway, it’s just interesting to see what can be done though.

I only use eq (if i use it) in slight quantities, just wanted to know, as you said, what can be done. After all my search the best ANC cans i've found are de Master & Dynamic mw65, although not without some flaws (for unknown reasons i'm not convinced with it's soundstage presentation). I think i will buy and try the Dali's as the last opportunity of redemption and if not M&D will stay.

By the way, @jagar46, invoking Lagoon's sound in your mind (which didn´t stay with me because of weakness and plastics, sound was fine), how would you compare it with Dali's, specially in bass terms. You mentioned before that they were almost on par for you, ¿could you briefly detail differences and similarities between both?

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #126 of 1,056
I only use eq (if i use it) in slight quantities, just wanted to know, as you said, what can be done. After all my search the best ANC cans i've found are de Master & Dynamic mw65, although not without some flaws (for unknown reasons i'm not convinced with it's soundstage presentation). I think i will buy and try the Dali's as the last opportunity of redemption and if not M&D will stay.

By the way, @jagar46, invoking Lagoon's sound in your mind (which didn´t stay with me because of weakness and plastics, sound was fine), how would you compare it with Dali's, specially in bass terms. You mentioned before that they were almost on par for you, ¿could you briefly detail differences and similarities between both?

i would say that they are similar SQ wise, I’m not good at explaining the different nuances in sound but generally the lagoon’s were warmer with a bit more bass when pushed, the soundstage on the lagoon’s wasn’t as open as the Dali’s. The Dali’s bass never gets unsettled, it’s the only ANC headphone I’ve tried were the bass is always well rounded no matter how deep it goes. I can’t say I prefer the Dali’s sound over the lagoon’s, they are different and both suit my tastes perfectly. I would have kept the Lagoon’s for sure if it wasn’t for the creaking noises. The ANC on the Dali’s seems slightly stronger that the Lagoon’s, I used the lagoon’s on a 6 hour flight and was totally satisfied with their noise cancellation so I’m sure I’ll be happy with the Dali’s.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #127 of 1,056
I don't know why, but all changes in EQ on the phone spoil the overall quality of the sound, so it's a shame that Px7 and IO6 do not have their own EQ.
As for the rest of my impressions:
The midrange and treble are more exposed than in the M3, similarly with the clarity of sound, it is just a slightly higher level, but as for the bass, I would say that there is very little of it. I don't know yet whether I like it or not. In songs where the bass is a lot, headphones can add it, but in small quantities.
I like it if the headphones can also hit hard, unfortunately I can't feel it here.
In general, the mid and treble sound signature is similar to that of M3, with less bass.

I want to check how much M3 will actually last on the battery. And I will finally reside within a few days.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes:wink:

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #128 of 1,056
The IO-4's came so close! I've been searching for the best sounding closed back wireless headphones available without ANC and have Aptx HD and LL. I'd be using them for tv as much or more than listening to music so latency is a big concern.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #129 of 1,056
Some say, that these are bass light. I wonder how drum'n'bass sounds..

I wouldn't say they are bass light - more bass 'right'. :wink: I don't like over emphasized bass, and the Dali IO6 just sounds right. Still amazed by the clarity and detail of the sound. The sound stage is also amazing. And they are so comfortable - I've used now many times continuously for multiple hours and never was bothered by them. They are simply perfect (for me!)

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #131 of 1,056
At first I did think there was a certain amount of bass missing (when compared to the h9i's) but after time I now find them perfect.. if I do want some more I have adjusted the bass slightly and didn't notice any difference in sq.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #132 of 1,056
At first I did think there was a certain amount of bass missing (when compared to the h9i's) but after time I now find them perfect.. if I do want some more I have adjusted the bass slightly and didn't notice any difference in sq.

Wait a minute - bass light compared to the H9i? You just threw me a curve ball. My current ANC headphones are the H9i - and I had the H9 before that. I consider the H9i to be perfect in the bass department - perhaps just a "touch" light.
If the IO6 present the bass even lighter than my B&O's than I am a bit concerned..

How else would you compare the two? Do you find a difference and do you consider the Dali to be a significant step up from the H9i - or just a sideways upgrade? Is the ANC better or the same?

Thanks in advance

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #133 of 1,056
with the h9i's i initially thought they were ideal for what I wanted and would still have them if one of the cans had not lost sound when wired.. due to this problem i decided to exchange for the dalis and with in the first listen i could notice the difference.. i find the Dalis to be a lot more spacious and clearer. I aways use tusk as testing track and really could pick out parts of the song I had not heard though the h9i's. With regards to the bass.. i did find it lacking at first, but soon came to realise that it is more to do with the actual production of the song than the headphones. i have tried them with various different genres from Pantera, faith no more & fantomas through to Gang starr, cypress hill, Gazelle twin and chip wickham (and a fair bit of v recordings as well) . With each listen they seem to separate the sound extremely well and produce new things for me to pick up on. I have been a huge Faith no More fan from the late 80's yet only am really hearing how good Billy Goulds bass parts are.. This is not due to them being more pronounced or bass-heavy but just separated out and almost put to you on a plate. I hope that makes sense?

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #135 of 1,056
can't speak for the 3rd generations as i had the 2nd generation but it was similar but with less detail. One other thing i noticed was that often the streaming quality of a track was exposed a lot more on the h9i's (more hiss in the background).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back