DACMagic Plus Impressions
Jan 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #182 of 428
thanks for replies guys.
i read the original dacmagic had a poor usb, is the usb on the DM+ much improved?
i want to connect my pc to it but it doesnt have a optical out.

It's asynchronous with a proprietary Cambridge Audio USB 2.0 driver. It sounds pretty good to me.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #183 of 428
Yep, USB2, when used with FOOBAR and ASIO plugin for it sounds fabulous.

Winamp and WMP also have ASIO plugins, which SUCK BTW, crash and cannot
restart, poor implementation.

BBC Radio 3 streaming AAC+ (not mp3) at 320kbps is out of this world, it
and Ceski Rozhlas Vltava are the highest quality streaming radios on the planet
right now.

As an update, i am very much still in love with the DM Plus, the combo with the
balanced M1000is to Zamp v.3 and ProAc Tablettes is fabulous.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #186 of 428
ok great thanks guys.
any recommendations on where to get a good usb cable or rca cable? is monoprice fine or should i invest more?

I think the stock USB cable is too thin, so I'm using a thicker cable that came with another device.

The RCA wires that I'm using are some "Monster" cables that I bought for $9 at a local electronics discount store. They had a $39.99 sticker on them, supposedly overstock from Best Buy.

burson2.jpg

I usually buy analog wires for around $25 from Hong Kong sellers on eBay.

Here's a male mini TRS to male mini TRS between my Pico and Voyager:

office_setup1.jpg

And here's an female mini TRS to male mini TRS extension that I bought for my Ed. 8 since the stock cable is too short:

Edition8_HA-160.jpg

I wouldn't buy wires at the dollar store, but at the same time I doubt that I'll be able to tell the difference between what I have and $100+ wires.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #187 of 428
Has anybody tried this with Denon D2000s or 5000s or even 7000s, markl modded or stock?

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #188 of 428

Quote:

- I hear a high pitched noise coming from the DM+ all the time. I don't know if this is normal. Has anybody else experienced this?

Does anyone else experience this noise from the DacMagic Plus?

How does the DacMagic Plus compare with other DAC+headamp units like the Benchmark DAC-1 and the Burson HA160D?

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #189 of 428
Shuttleboi

No noise from mine.

I had the DacMagic before so I can only compare the Plus to it.  I can say that the headphone quality is less from the Plus than from my Graham Slee Novo headphone amp - less bass extension and a little less clarity.  Unfortunately there's no way to connect the Novo to the Plus.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #191 of 428
I don't think the DM and the DMPlus sound different. I  doubt I could tell them apart in a blind test.   However, I think I prefer my Graham Slee Novo headphone amp to the headphone amp in the DMPlus.  The Novo sound is a bit meatier with a little more definition (in my Grado RS1i's).  But even here the difference isn't huge - changing the earpads on the RS1i had more noticeable effect on the sound.  The DMPlus is good for me because it gives me a volume control to use with my active speakers.

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #192 of 428
My DM+ does a slight noise when power is turned on. I would describe it as a minor electric humming. I did try my old DM again and noticed that it is totally quiet when power is turned on. I would say that the slight noice of DM+ is not loud. For example my PS3 which is next to DM+ makes more noice. I would also say that I'm not sure if I notice any difference in sound when comparring DM+ to my old DM but I still like the sound they both produce. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #193 of 428
I contacted Cambridge Audio and asked about the minor noise that my DM+ makes when power is turned on. They aswered that DM+ should not make any "electrical hums" and should be as quiet as the old DM.

So based on Cambridge Audios answer and the fact that old Dacmagic is totally quiet, the Dacmagic Plus should also be totally quiet when working properly.

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #194 of 428
I have a DM+ too, mine is also making the high pitched noise like from an old CRT TV.
I have it on my desk 40cm from my ear and it's absolutely annoying when I don't listen to anything!

I just contacted Cambridge Support on their website to hear what they have to say about it.

Beside that, I have tried it with the Denon AH-D7000 and think it sounds really good.
The AH-D7000 can sometimes be a little too slow and heavy in the bass, but because of the DM+ bright/light sound it eases it up and gives an more allround sound.
Didn't have time to extensively test it as the AH-D7000 was not mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back