DAC1 + JH13 + what amp?
Oct 11, 2009 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hpz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there guys,

So i have now gotten JH-13s and a Benchmark DAC1, its now time for an amp. But the question is which? I'm looking to spend $500-800 on an amp.

Right now using the headphone output on the dac1 is extremely detailed but to me feels too thin, mainly too much treble and not much warmth/bass. So i'm looking for an amp which will offset this balance and make it warm and engaging.

Woo6 seems to me the obvious choice, but is there any other options out there i should consider? I would prefer a SS amp though. Amps must have low noise floor so it doesn't hiss with the IEMs.

Thanks all
HPZ

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 16
Personally, I'm very happy with my RPX-33. The music comes from perfect blackness, and the presentation is warm and lively. I'm in love with my main rig with the JH13.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 16
Do you like DIY amps?

If yes, with 500-800$, you have someone build a balanced CK2III or even M3 for you to make a fully balanced setup with your JH13s. I found out that the M3 has tremendous value. It can stand up against any ~1k$ commercial SS amp. The CK2III is fully discrete so it'd be great if you want a transparent amp. The problem is you have to set a suitable gain for the JH13s.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 16
They are easy to drive but are very revealing. I have found that the fewer PN junctions and IR drops an amp has (fewer parts) the better the sound from the JH13.

Two vendors are building me amps with unity gain (gain of 1) Justin with a G-Lite and Brad for a Lisa XP.

I found the DNA Sonett (the current favorite), Woo 6, Standard Lisa (To much gain however) and the Naim Headline very acceptable. Other noteworthy amps I own that sound good are Meier Amps (with balanced ground) and even the Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S (non Caliente) work fine. The Caliente version has a bump below 100 cycles and the treble is deliberately rolled and are not what you need. The version I had was the Caliente, and Oriel sent the jumpers to add the second bank of caps, this smoothed the response and thus, sounded pretty good actually.

Just about any clean, clear, quick and quiet amp does work.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 16
Would you guys say that the woo6 and RSA HR-2 be on the warmer and more forwards sounding?

I'm leaning to them because i've heard good things about them...

The RPX 33 is just out of my reach

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 16
Nice idea on the balanced CKK-III. Gain of 2 per board, 4 total with a stepped attenuator or nice pot and you'll have no problems with IEMs. Would be pretty wicked I'd say, I know, I use a balanced CKK-III at work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hijack the thread. What about the JH13 Pro straight out of the Lavry DA11 headphone out?

Also funny you say that because I was going to probably get a dac before I bought my amp for my home setup since I could use the in built amp and take advantage until I am able to buy the other piece.

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 16
There's nothing wrong with DAC1's hp out, it should have no trouble driving the JH13. If you want something different, try a tube amp instead of single state.

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hpz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you guys say that the woo6 and RSA HR-2 be on the warmer and more forwards sounding?

I'm leaning to them because i've heard good things about them...

The RPX 33 is just out of my reach

The HR-2 you can swap op-amps and the Woo WA6 you can swap rectifiers, and with either, achieve any sound you wish!

Oct 12, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 16
SPL Auditor is relatively high gain amp. I doubt that it will pair well with sensitive and low impedance IEM's. It doesn't have gain or dim switch like Phonitor.

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 16
From all that I've read, the dac1's headphone out is meant to be quite the performer. If you want warmth just go tube I suppose.

Figure out your budget then search within it is my advice. Try audition anything/everthing.

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 16
well I reckon perhaps a balanced M3 or perhaps the new yet to be fully designed M4 which has fully balance input and output as well as a Jung regulator. I guess these guys all missed that you have already said that the DAC1 sounded a bit thin to you. I would tend to agree with you, it really does need something warmish to offset that. I never really liked it myself, but then I never spend the time trying to make it work. it does as you say have good detail though, I just found the sound to be a little hollow/lifeless.

i'm looking for either a hybrid balanced preamp or waiting to see what goes on with the M4

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #15 of 16
I've forgot to mention that i've been using a volume attenuator so i can actually use it past 8 o clock. I've been using the attenuator so i can get it to about 10 o clock for normal listening levels.

Now... After much testing and fiddling around, I have found the culprit of the very thin/hollow sound. It is the volume attenuator set at too much resistance. I assume this resistance affects the cross over networks, but i've always thought that more resistance = to less harsh and more bassy sound, but boy am i wrong. Reducing the resistance actually brought back the bass and a bit of warmth and therefore my new normal listening range is at 9 o clock. Cool thing is now i can adjust the volume attenuator to add/reduce bass for different songs, pretty neat.

So finally for now i can use the DAC1 hp out while i save for a dedicated amp. But i'm very pleased with the sound i'm getting now.

Thanks for all who inquired.
HPZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back