DAC worth it for my setup?
Dec 17, 2007 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hoeboe2k

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Alessandro MS1 getting music from my Macbook Pro analog output. I was thinking of buying the Beresford TC 7510 which is about 200 dollars and feeding an optical output to it from my MBP. I was wondering if it would actually make a significant difference? I have no external amp currently although I know there is a mediocre one included on the Beresford. If the Beresford is a bad choice then is there anything else I should look at?

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 6
OK maybe this was a bad thread but then will getting the Beresford improve my sound quality substantially than just my analog out on my Macbook Pro for the MS1 or should I just save up money for a better one?

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 6
The MBP has pretty good sound for an integrated solution from the little time I've listened to it but I would say those cans would sound a lot better on a dedicated amp + DAC, at least in my newbish opinion.

The Firestone Cute, Fubar series are supposed to be pretty good amps and DACs (respectively) for the money. The Fubar III is the Cute + Fubar II in one package so that may be worth checking out.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 6
I think it will. I started out with shure e2c phones and a macbook pro.
They started to bug my ears so I found the akg271s, and then needed an amp to drive them. I decided on the total bithead which is a portable amp/dac with usb for your computer, it was only 150.00 and it made a noticeable difference in sound quality compared to that of the mbp analog out. Without the tbh, if I paused a song in itunes while listening I could hear a lot of noise/hiss. With the tbh it was silent. As well as removing background computer noise, it gave better control over the headphones. Bass was tighter, I could hear more detail in the music, and of course it drove the headphones to higher volumes.( I think the ms-1's are easier to drive though)
I am not familliar with the tc-7510, but the improvement from a bottom/entry level dac/amp like the tbh was definitely an improvement over the macbook.
I would suggest getting one within your budget, from a place with a good return policy, and try it out. The tbh provided enough of an improvement to my ears to make me curious about the next step, and the next,(I am awaiting an ultra micro dac as I type). Be careful, it's a slippery slope.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 6
MS-1 doesn't require amplification, yet it still run fine in portable or normal source (onboard soundcard, etc). But it will 'slightly' improved if you got better amp & source.

TC-7510 is quite alright (hell, 7510's fans gonna hang me if I said not)
Decent DAC with -alright- built in amp, similar to my ibasso D1 but in desktop size. Personally I think that's really a good choice to get this DAC/AMP, beside if in case you want to upgrade your system...
Let say new headphone and dedicated headphone amp, TC-7510 will serve you as a decent DAC, so nothing to lose
smily_headphones1.gif

Beside $200 from your wallet
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 6
Ahhh, the thing is I just bought my MS1's, they're burning in still and I am just getting caught in the whole head-fi scene. I think I should conserve my money right now maybe and scanning the used equipment section looking for a good deal. I want a legitimately pretty good DAC and if I can't get it at this price range, when can I find it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back