DAC with XLR out & variable audio line-out
Feb 18, 2012 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Mauricio

500+ Head-Fier
What other DACs are out there, besides the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, that have XLR output and can function as a pre-amp by allowing volume control on the stereo audio output?  Any others under $600?

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 26
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_babyface.php#5

Don't be put off because it seems to offer more than you ask for at the moment.

It's pro quality for what you want. Compare the spec. The drivers, support and reliability are legendary.

Looks nice too.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 26
Wyred4Sound
Anedio
Benchmark
Larvy
Violectric

But no, as far as I know Cambridge Audio is the cheapest I found that have XLR and variable out.

EDIT:  I take that back, I think a Logitec DAC is the cheapest.
EDIT2: Was creative labs EMU 0404 USB, although I have no idea where I found it.

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 26
I think it's a "you get what you pay for" issue with the CA DM+ compared to other viable candidates listed above. I am also interested in a DAC with dual outputs, as my current Nuforce Icon HDP has only one pair of outputs and I need to connect to both powered speakers and a good headphone amp.  After reading about the DACMagic Plus, it would seemingly be a downgrade from my current Icon HDP (see posts #40 & #77). 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/581591/dacmagic-plus-impressions/30

I am going to match my V200 headamp with a V800 DAC in the near future.  Of course, if your budget is more aligned with the CA DM+, then that is the solution.

Folks also recommend this X-DAC by Rein Audio.  Good price, but very new and only one way to purchase (direct).

http://www.reinaudio.com/X-DAC.html

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 26
Any of the balanced Audio-gd DACs would have xlr outs and user set line outs or pre-outs and switch between multiple digital inputs and are bargains for what they are.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 26
I won't spend more than about $600 for a DAC, and I would have gladly and willing spent less than what I paid for the DACMagic were there other offerings with the same combo of features and quality.  Why?  In most, if not all systems, the limiting factor after a point (and that point is a lot earlier than $600) are the speakers/monitors.  The philosophy that guides my system-building is:  Get as little DAC as you can get away with.  Get as much speaker/monitor as you can.  Placebo effects, obsessive geeking out over DAC dynamics/sound quality and sour grapes aside, I doubt the limiting factor in most people's systems is the DAC.  After a point, you are paying for brand bragging rights and features (such as XLR-out and variable line-out).  You'll get more clear improvements putting an additional $500 on a pair of monitors than on a fancy-schmancy DAC.

A Spanish audio magazine did a controlled, statistically-significant comparison of DAC, and the conclusions would be a bucket of cold water on those who claim to hear vast differences among DACs.  Placebo and expectation bias.

BTW, I am primarily a speaker/monitor listener, and only secondarily by a large margin a headphones listener.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 26
just get an audio interface. lot of professional audio interfaces are balanced with TRS and XLR options and can be used as a passive preamp as well if needed due to the +4dbu gain(1.23v RMS) balanced outputs use. even mixers can be used as a balanced preamp. Echo makes really good interfaces but are firewire so if you have good firewire/IEEE support on your motherboard or laptop i wouldn't hesitate going firewire route instead of usb. usb route the Emu do great.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 26
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_babyface.php#5

Don't be put off because it seems to offer more than you ask for at the moment.

It's pro quality for what you want. Compare the spec. The drivers, support and reliability are legendary.

Looks nice too.

RME and apogee uses the same texas instrument chip echo interfaces uses but echo is much cheaper. i believe even emu interface uses a similar texas instrument chip compared to echo's stuff, but i know for sure that RME and apogee uses the same exact texas instrument chip for their converters as Echo brand uses.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #13 of 26
Thanks, Rex.  I have to say that I am increasingly drawn to professional studio equipment for their no-nonsense approach, functionality and value.  I'll look into it.

You wouldn't happen to know a technically solid yet affordable USB-to-AES/EBU XLR converter, would you?

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 26
Thanks, Rex.  I have to say that I am increasingly drawn to professional studio equipment for their no-nonsense approach, functionality and value.  I'll look into it.

You wouldn't happen to know a technically solid yet affordable USB-to-AES/EBU XLR converter, would you?

to be honest, i have no idea cause all i use are analog connectors to all my receivers and power amps i use. never digital so my experience with digital connectivity is very little. sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back