DAC with sd reading capabilities
Jul 9, 2020 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Chimmy9278

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am looking for suggestions regarding a dac/player that has sd reading abilities. Like a player but not really. Samples would be like ibasso dx 220 max or smsl dp1. Just looking for batter quality and more power with a sleeker build. Any ideas? Also, trades for a player with Westone UM50 Pro V2 is also up.

Look forward to your responses!

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Hello everyone,

I am looking for suggestions regarding a dac/player that has sd reading abilities. Like a player but not really. Samples would be like ibasso dx 220 max or smsl dp1. Just looking for batter quality and more power with a sleeker build. Any ideas? Also, trades for a player with Westone UM50 Pro V2 is also up.

Look forward to your responses!

I'm not so sure what you want here...those are a portable DAP (Ibasso) and home DAP (SMSL) with some functionalities as a DAC, like USB input and in t he case of the SMSL, a preamp output (so it can be used with a power amp or active speakers without getting a separate preamp). "DAC/player that has SD reading abilities" is basically describing every portable player and home server that isn't just a network interface.

Do you mean something like a Zishan Z2 where it's primarily a DAC(-HPamp) that just has an SD card reader but is barely a player?

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm not so sure what you want here...those are a portable DAP (Ibasso) and home DAP (SMSL) with some functionalities as a DAC, like USB input and in t he case of the SMSL, a preamp output (so it can be used with a power amp or active speakers without getting a separate preamp). "DAC/player that has SD reading abilities" is basically describing every portable player and home server that isn't just a network interface.

Do you mean something like a Zishan Z2 where it's primarily a DAC(-HPamp) that just has an SD card reader but is barely a player?
The iBasso DX220 MAX is more along the lines of the Sony DMPZ1, a giant transportable "DAP". This isn't the standard DX220.

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 8
The iBasso DX220 MAX is more along the lines of the Sony DMPZ1, a giant transportable "DAP". This isn't the standard DX220.

I didn't assume it was the same as the standard DX220.

I'm saying it's tough to understand what he wants exactly. "Like a player, but not really" line got blurred by the DX220 (and DMPZ1) having an actual interface, and even the SMSL DP1 is more like a CDP but I think it actually shows track titles.

A Cocktail Audio product "has SD reading abilities," but I wouldn't say "like a player but not really" because that is exactly what it is. Though not for his needs since I didn't like the X12's headphone amp.

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 8
Dig around for network media server/player, streaming server/dac type gear, you'll probably find something that fits your needs.

Portable-wise, Chord products w/ the wireless addons that have SD slots (Mojo/Poly, Hugo/2Go).

A lot of those are usually controled via mobile device, but there are straight up desktop DAPs like the aforementioned DMPZ1... if you go to Penon's website they have a whole section for Desktop Players by Aune/QLS etc...

Though a much cheaper way would be to set up a small, easily hidden (r-pi, hiby r3 maybe?) phone controlled music server w/ a digital out to your preferred dac.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 8
I’ve never really given much thought but a desktop DAP is a really cool thought that I don’t think has many offerings. Unless you want to spend big money like with the Sony or DX220 MAX. I can definitely see the allure of a powerful desktop device that can drive high impedance headphones without having to be fed a signal from a PC or external source. A true all in one. Like I said these devices exist on the super high end but what about the other devices mentioned in this thread? What’s their price points?

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 8
I appreciate all of your responses. I understand the confusion here, to clear it up, what I am looking for is really just a DAC that reads sd and shows track title, simpler than a regular player, more focused into audio. DMP is sort of the thing, but it is too expensive. The ibasso 220 max is also too expensive. The Zishan would be a good example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back