DAC with analog inputs
Oct 29, 2008 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Toadfart

New Head-Fier
I was about to order a Zero DAC with OPA627 upgrade but realized I have a SACD player as a source. So I have a special requirement for my future DAC purchase. It needs to have an analog input, as the DSD signal from the SACD can not be sent via digital. I remember seeing a DAC that featured an analog input, but can't remember which it was. Here is my list of equipment.

Little Dot MKiii
AKG K701

Thanks in advance.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's makes no sense for DAC to have analog INPUTS.

Not entirely true. It depends on what the DAC manufacturer does with the analog signal from the inputs.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 33
I tend to agree with QQQ. A standalone DAC would not have analog inputs. It may, however, have analog inputs if
a) it is also a headphone amp, e.g., Grace m902, Meier Opera/Symphony
b) it is also a preamp, e.g., Benchmark DAC-1 Pre
c) it is an ADC, e.g., Apogee Rosetta, Lavry Blue

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 33
I guess something like the Benchmark DAC1 PRE might fall into the 'analog input' category you mention, though as others have mentioned your description seems a little misleading.

Can you better explain the feature you are after so we can help you?

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 33
Essentially I think he needs a DAC which can convert digital signals to feed the Little Dot MKiii, and also needs a way to get analog from the SACD player to the LD (e.g., if the amp only has a single set of inputs).

In my opinion, I would not look strictly for a DAC which also has analog inputs (generally what you are looking for is a combination DAC / pre-amp). I would rather look at keeping your DAC and getting a source selector such as that from Mapletree Audio. Also, if you wish to upgrade DAC's, you are limited to (the very small group) of DAC/pre combos.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

What can DAC do with analog input signal?

It would have to have an A/D to digitize it, then D/A back to analog... makes no sense at all. Otherwise, all it could do was pass it through as analog? If what he is trying to do is take the SACD to an amp that only has one set of inputs, then a switchbox is probably more what he needs.

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 33
I am with QQQ as well.
It makes no sense having analog inputs on an external DAC. Cause if it did, then first of all it would not be a DAC. Second of all, if it for some strange reason had, then the sound signal would go like this.

Digital (SACD) -> Analog -> Digital -> Analog -> Amplifier -> Headphone/speakers

All these conversions between Digital/Analog can't be good for the sound quality.

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 33
I think the OP just needs to know of a DAC that also has the capability of accepting a "pass-through" analog input, so it can be connected to the HP amp.
Or, the OP can sell the existing amp, and get one with a built-in DAC, with an input-selector switch.

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 33
I read the title and just lol'ed
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 33
It's obvious that sending an analog input to a DAC would not accomplish anything. Maybe I needed to rephrase and state that I need a DAC with multi analog selection capability so that I do not have to swap cables to my amp when I want to listen to SACDs.

Some of you were smart enough to catch it, some of are not so smart.
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadfart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of you were smart enough to catch it, some of are not so smart.
tongue.gif

...or perhaps the OP (
wink.gif
) were not smart enough to formulate a sentence that made complete sense to all of us?
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

It's makes no sense for DAC to have analog INPUTS.

It does if you are using it as a pre-amp, like the DAC1 Pre.

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 33
A few questions that might help get you the most for the least:

1) Do you plan on ever using anything other than the SACD player as a source? If not, just get a good SACD player and use analog exclusively.

2) What's your price range? Since you were looking at the Zero, I'm going to guess less than $250. For that price you're likely better off with just the SACD player's analog outs.

3) If you still insist on getting a DAC, what do you want out of it? More bass, cleaner treble, more blinky lights, less money?

There are a bunch of options, though most of them are a little pricy. The only cheap one that comes to mind is the E-MU 0404 USB. It has two Microphone inputs which can effectively be used as stereo inputs with RCA-TS converter plugs. I use this exact method (well, almost) for needledrops and get very good performance.

The E-MU goes for about $200 new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back