DAC under $200 for HE-400/PSII Combo
Dec 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

OckhamsRazor

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

This is my first post here at Head-Fi after lurking around for a couple months. I'm glad to be aboard.

I recently picked up a pair of Hifiman HE-400s, which I'm really loving. I'm powering them with a Project Sunrise II amp, which is proving to be an excellent combo. However, the weak link in my setup is my DAC - I'm using the DAC section of my ibasso D2+ via the line out jack. I'm happy with the sound I'm getting, but I'm sure that it can be improved with a DAC upgrade. I need to keep it under $200, so the options I'm considering are the HRT Music Streamer II and the ODAC. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 7
if you're willing to DIY, or can find one used, the Gamma2 is a great DAC. Can run from an external power supply instead of USB buss power., toslink, coax, and USB input, and TOSlink output as well. Anti-clipping and upsampling filters too. I'm quite happy with it and the detail it provides via my HE-400's

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks very much for the suggestion. I've never tried to build a DIY device (I bought my Project Sunrise pre-built). Though I'm not at all opposed to giving it a shot, the gamma2 looks like it might be a little tough for a first-timer. I'll keep an eye out for a used one though. Looks like a cool DAC.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 7
As a first time through, it'd be pretty tough, but they do pop up on the for sale from time to time

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Notch a vote for the ODAC. I'm using it with my HE-400 paired with a Matrix M-Stage. Sounds great to my ears.

Thanks, I'm definitely leaning toward the ODAC based on what I've read. The consensus (with a few exceptions of course) seems to be that it performs well above its price level.
Quote:
As a first time through, it'd be pretty tough, but they do pop up on the for sale from time to time

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back