DAC > Transport ?
Nov 21, 2009 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

omigawsh_lollercoaster

100+ Head-Fier
Is it all about the DAC?

If the CDP puts out the signal, the whole signal, and nothing but the signal, then that's it, right?

What more can the highest end player do for digital output, anything?

A properly output signal to the DAC = A properly output signal to the DAC?

Or are some signals more proper than others?
ph34r.gif

normal_smile .gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 9
If the transport "puts out the signal, the whole signal, and nothing but the signal," then I would definitely concentrate on the downstream components (DAC, Amplifier and like).
All transports do not perform on the same level though, so do not skimp on that part..

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... but have never heard a difference between them.

X2 - as long as there are no dropouts I have found all my Cd player and Pc and music server transports to be indistingishable into my DAC.

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Here's another way to think of it, however. In this set-up, the DAC is the first step in your analog signal chain; it is creating the signal you'll actually hear. So if it's analog section is sub-par, under spec'd, has a noisey power supply or etc., then it's quite reasonable that these imperfections and unwanted additions will get amplified and sent to your 'phones -- and therefore you may notice its shortcomings.

Just a viewpoint to consider. The ultimate test is what you hear, in any event.

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 9
i'm using a £9.99 old sony cd player off ebay for my transport (perfect cosmetic condition though), cdp-761e...why? 'cos it has one touch track selection, autofade, etc hahaha
biggrin.gif

would like a dedicated one, of course, but £££
frown.gif

that said, when i get a proper transport, and i'd like to (second hand obviously) i'll surely notice the difference over the cheap-as-possible solution i use now, right? ;P

edit: i can't type

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 9
Sometimes the transport can matter.

In the realm of poor operation, you might have read errors or unwanted noise output on the digital signal. Poor internal grounding is a possibility. For read errors, you need a new transport of course. Unwanted noise could get filtered out by your DAC. It may not though or not completely. (This noise usually won't be audible, but could affect your downstream gear's operation.)

If jitter is a concern (for some it is, others don't care much) then a poor transport may have higher jitter. Your DAC may or may not clean up jitter on the incoming signal.

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 9
Almost every one has heard that one wants low jitter! This is true. But keep in mind the following things. Error correction: if the bits coming from the transport/player are not the ones on the disc, but error generated ones, it will not sound as good as less/no errors. What causes error corrction to kick in: Well assuming we are not talking physical marks on the disc, woble in the disc, disc clamping not tight enouch, poor laser or lens quality, vibration, and the list goes on. The lens for example has to read a spinning disc with very small lands and pits, any woble and the lens keeps refocusing, causing error. you get the idea. And yes you can hear a difference between transports for all these reasons {and jitter too}

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 9
I first used a cheap pioneer dvd player as a transport to my d ac and it was really great...I than upgraded to a marantz cd player just for a peace of mind (that's how I am
smile.gif
) . to tell you the truth..I don't think there is a difference in sound from what i can recall. with a good dac, one that handles jitter right, there is no big difference betwwen different transports and differenct digital cables from my own little experience. i always tries to get a decent mid-priced gear and cables for peace of mind (you can never know) and to know i did the best i can for my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back