DAC to receiver/headamp... switching solution?
Jul 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bpm2000

500+ Head-Fier
I tried to search but honestly was lost on what search string I should be using.

Anyways, I am using a macbook optical out into my Lite DAC-AH. It only has one set of outputs which was originally going to my A35R receiver but now that I have a MKV I switched the cables to that. Is there some kind of little box or something I can use to switch between the receiver and the headphone amp without having to unplug the cables every time?

thx!
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Look for output jacks on your receiver (not all will have them), but even then, you might have to have the receiver on, with the volume all the way down not to have music coming out of the speakers.

You can find that kind of switch, but I have not looked into it. I think folks have used that kind of switch to do A/B testing, and most were custom made.

An easier thing to try is some Y cables to split the output from your dac, just run interconnects to both your amps, and just turn on the one you want to use. Pretty sure you can find some cheap ones at Radio Shack or Best Buy. You can always find some more expensive ones later if it works out, but you feel the Y is causing you troubles.

Here is one I googled in 2 minutes :https://www.cablesforless.com/p-470-...rca-plugs.aspx
BTW, you will need 2, one for each channel of stereo.

have fun, and sorry for your wallet...

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 6
If you are looking for an passive analog audio switch, Radio Shack has one for around $25, even though it also switches video. If you need a fully digital switch, look at the Beresford TC-7510 DAC. It has two optical and two coax digital inputs with two analog outputs.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cant use your receiver as a preamp?

Maybe but i wanted to cut down on the # of signal paths.

I had bought a set of cables from BJC hoping it would be fine but didnt think ahead. Didn't want to add more boxes and cables to the mix, but guess there's not much choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

have fun, and sorry for your wallet...

Been sorry for many many years now
wink.gif

thx all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back