DAC Suggestions
Nov 2, 2002 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

akar

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a DAC to use in my computer room along with a "cd player to be named later".

I am open to any suggestions, but I want the DAC to have at least the following features:

Coax and Toslink inputs

RCA Jack Analog Inputs

Ability to Switch Between the Analog and Digital Inputs

2 sets of RCA Jack Analog Outputs

Thanks in advance.

Nov 2, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by akar
I am looking for a DAC to use in my computer room along with a "cd player to be named later".

I am open to any suggestions, but I want the DAC to have at least the following features:

Coax and Toslink inputs

RCA Jack Analog Inputs

Ability to Switch Between the Analog and Digital Inputs

2 sets of RCA Jack Analog Outputs

Thanks in advance.

You seem to have some confusion over exactly what you are looking for. A DAC is a digital to analog convertor. It's usually not going to have ANY analog inputs. Digital goes in, analog comes out. A DAC may have a coax and an optical input, and one set of analog outputs. Balanced digital input and analog output is possible. The analog inputs, the multiple outputs, and the switching capability will be found in a preamp, not a DAC (in most cases). A digital preamp or receiver may be what you're looking for.

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

The Creek OBH-14 has those features, I just wanted to see if there were any others that also had them.

The OBH-14 is a combined DAC and passive preamp. It's a fairly unique product, AFAIK.

Nov 3, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 18
You could also pick up a seperate passive pre amp and connect that to the dac of your choice instead of being stuck with the creek.

Nov 4, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
You seem to have some confusion over exactly what you are looking for. A DAC is a digital to analog convertor. It's usually not going to have ANY analog inputs.

Actually, the MSB Tech Link DAC III has analog inputs as well as outputs. They act as an overridable pass-through, just in case you run out of inputs or are not using a pre-amp, or something. But they don't have the switching capabilities, so they don't belong in akar's short list.

One of the MSB's famous "snip-out" mods is to remove this capability, as it is believed to conflict with fidelity.

Nov 4, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

The OBH-14 is a combined DAC and passive preamp. It's a fairly unique product, AFAIK.

Not so unique. JOB has a similar product called JOB DIG PRE. Has 3 inputs + passive pre.

http://www.jobsys.com/

No toslink or RCA in though.

Nov 4, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Masz
Not so unique. JOB has a similar product called JOB DIG PRE. Has 3 inputs + passive pre.

http://www.jobsys.com/

No toslink or RCA in though.

I stand corrected. I think the Creek is a bit less expensive tho
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

I stand corrected. I think the Creek is a bit less expensive tho
wink.gif

Yes it is cheaper but for the price I think the JOB is tempting. It uses the same Alize3 goldmund module that the ultra expensive Goldmund Mimesis 20M DAC uses. Doesn't mean they will sound the same but something to take note.

JOB is the research and development arm of Goldmund. Goldmund circuitry comes from JOB.

Hopefully that means something. Then again maybe nothing. heh heh.

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:38 PM Post #11 of 18
In either case, the ART DI/O has neither analog pass-through nor optical input. A good affordable DAC only that has optical and coax input is the Channel Island. For more money, of course, there are better DACs. What's your budget? I'd suggest getting the preamp seperate from the DAC unless you're really in need of both components immediately and can't afford them seperately.

(or wait for AOS' PDAC)

Nov 4, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

That's called a "digital preamp" It's actually a nice idea... the only other things you have to buy are a transport and a power amp.

A few of those uber-highend companies have been making these recently, and i'd imagine they'd sound awesome with a good power amp.

Nov 4, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 18
Actually, a fair number of digital receivers or pre/pro's fit what's required. The Outlaw 950 will do everything mentioned in the initial post. Whether it's sonically as good as a stand-alone DAC is another issue.

Nov 4, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 18
I can afford to get both a dac and a preamp, but space is an issue.
It seems the Creek OBH-14 would be a perfect fit, but I can't find one anywhere.
I e-mailed HCM Audio and they no longer stock it, even though they still have it on their website.
Does anyone know where I can order one of these?

Kelly,

Any estimate on when the pdac will be available?

Nov 4, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Kelly,
Any estimate on when the pdac will be available?

Email/PM aos - I have no idea what his schedule is like and whether there is a waiting list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back