DAC Recommendations
Mar 26, 2008 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ice Max

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into adding a DAC into my system. Problem is, I have no idea whats out there in DAC-land. Ideally, I'd like to spend $300 or less on a DAC that I can plug into my sound card (X-fi Xtreme Music, though I may get an X-Fi Prelude eventually.) All it needs is an Spdif input to connect to the sound card, and RCA out jacks, and sound pretty good. Any recommendations?

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 9
There are plenty of good DACs out there - read 'good' not 'excellent' - and I wouldn't rule out portable DACs with their mini outs because you could simply add a mini-2-RCA connector.

I'm trying an iBasso D1 with rolled opamps and am quite impressed by the DAC output. Going this approach would also give you a portable amp as an added bonus, though the cost of rolling opamps would also need to be factored in.

Good luck finding what will work for you - in my experience there is a fairly wide variety of quality (including SQ) out there in that price bracket.

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 9
i was just looking at the Headroom Dac, which looks nice, however, it doesn't have RCA outputs ( I'd like to use my new cables made by n_maher that i got at the NYC meet)

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 9
Oh, cool, thanks for the link webbie64. Bookmarked.
biggrin.gif

The one downside is that it appears the timestamp on the blog doesn't update, so it will be difficult to tell when new DACs have been added (but I hope I'm wrong about this).

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, cool, thanks for the link webbie64. Bookmarked.
biggrin.gif

The one downside is that it appears the timestamp on the blog doesn't update, so it will be difficult to tell when new DACs have been added (but I hope I'm wrong about this).

If it turns out to be this way then http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/at...ight=post+here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back