DAC recommendation to drive 600 ohm headphone
Aug 24, 2018 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

beyermann

100+ Head-Fier
I need a DAC because my current AK1 is malfunctioning on the headphone jack.

Considered the ur22 mk2 by Steinberg, but saw some guy saying that it sounds like a walkman compared to RME Babyface Pro. I assume the ur44 and ur242 sound all the same because it's the same components.

Is there that much of a difference between that price range and RME price range?

Now I don't know what to do. I don't really want to invest that much to be honest. The AK1 sounds pretty damn good, if the next one I buy sounds as good I will be happy. I wish I had the opportunity to test high end DACs to see if people are on placebo or not.

PS: I must also be able to connect my monitors, so one of these super minimalistic interfaces wouldn't do. Personally I dont like the RME Babyface design, I want individual knobs for headphones, monitors etc.

The headphones I have are the DT770. Im not interested in recording anything so I dont care about mic quality amps.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 9
I can't think of much to add to the 14 responses, and suggested solutions in your price range, that you got to this same question over the last few days at Gearslutz: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mus...ne-trying-find-interface-dac-replacement.html

As you know, the thread that you started on this site on this question on August 11 also resulted in suggested solutions: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rec...phones-i-need-a-new-dac.886333/#post-14422855

I have owned both the RME Babyface and the Sound Devices USBPre 2 and much prefer the latter (see my signature), in part because it uses hardware rather than software controls. You could also look at products by Universal Audio and Apogee. But all of these cost well above what you want to spend.

Reading your Gearslutz and Head-Fi threads, it's a little unclear what you need/want as inputs.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 9
I need a DAC because my current AK1 is malfunctioning on the headphone jack.
Considered the ur22 mk2 by Steinberg, but saw some guy saying that it sounds like a walkman compared to RME Babyface Pro. I assume the ur44 and ur242 sound all the same because it's the same components.
Is there that much of a difference between that price range and RME price range?
Now I don't know what to do. I don't really want to invest that much to be honest. The AK1 sounds pretty damn good, if the next one I buy sounds as good I will be happy. I wish I had the opportunity to test high end DACs to see if people are on placebo or not.
PS: I must also be able to connect my monitors, so one of these super minimalistic interfaces wouldn't do. Personally I dont like the RME Babyface design, I want individual knobs for headphones, monitors etc.
The headphones I have are the DT770. I'm not interested in recording anything so I don't care about mic quality amps.
So you have the 600-Ohm version of the Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones.
Budget for DAC (DAC/amp)?

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 9
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/151/the-element/
I guess The Element will be a good choice since you need amplifier and DAC. I tried it with HD800s and it drives it effortlessly but I am not very sure about a 600 ohms can. I encourage you to have an audition before getting it blindly.

Aug 25, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 9
Yep, budget less than 400 bucks.
Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp, around $380 total (unit/shipping/tax) delivered to your from door.

Aug 26, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 9
I need more i/o's than that. Just enough to connect my monitors, headphone, but also maybe a mixer to route stuff, some effect processor, that's it, I don't need microphones, instruments etc.
Seem like you need an AI (Audio Interface) and i'm assuring the AI are would not normally come with a headphone amplifier designed to drive 600-Ohm headphones.

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #9 of 9
Seem like you need an AI (Audio Interface) and i'm assuring the AI are would not normally come with a headphone amplifier designed to drive 600-Ohm headphones.

You are right, I guess, im not sure how people call these things.

How about the Tascam UH 7000? I've just read it has the best sound quality for that price range, of course I would need to pay a bit more but im ok with paying 200 bucks more if it's worth it. The problem is it lacks an independent monitor volume knob it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back