DAC recommendation...decision made: Oritek OMZ...OMG!
May 16, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #76 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing Ori mentioned was that this DAC really needs power conditioning to shine. You don't need to go overboard on it, just have your digital and analog sections separate. What I'm using (and Ori is too!) is a simple transformer based conditioner. I'm using a SmartPower and he's using a PowerVar. Either can be had for around $150 or so. They are the types used on POS (point-of-sale, not what you're thinking) units - cash registers basically. I replaced the recepticle in mine with a hospital grade unit, and have the DAC and transport on it, and it really does the trick. It opens up and smoothes out the sound, and gives you a nice black background and resolution. No need for giga-buck exotic power conditioners. You don't get surge protection with this setup, but unlike a UPS-type unit, you don't get that soundstage compression.

Pompon, I found the exact opposite, actually...the DAC really gives me a wide and deep soundstage, with focus and clarity on all instruments, correct placing, and a much more vivid presentation. This thing just screams "NATURAL!" and "ALIVE!". Maybe it's your interconnects...let me know if you want to ditch those lousy X2's in favor of something else...I'll take them from ya, you know...as a favor...

I jest, lol...

I just received a Powervar conditioner that I bought off Ebay a few days ago and the sound has opened up a little bit on my OMZ. At this point, I don't know if it's placebo or not, but I'm digging it. When I have a chance, I'll do some critical listening between plugging directly into the wall vs the conditioner.

May 16, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #77 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received a Powervar conditioner that I bought off Ebay a few days ago and the sound has opened up a little bit on my OMZ. At this point, I don't know if it's placebo or not, but I'm digging it. When I have a chance, I'll do some critical listening between plugging directly into the wall vs the conditioner.

Just curious...did you order that on my recommendation, or was it something you decided on your own? Do you know what model you got? I may be able to secure a few more, and if I do, I'll put them up for sale/trade in the forums. Let us know how it goes in your A/B testing.

May 16, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #78 of 94
Quote:

Just curious...did you order that on my recommendation, or was it something you decided on your own? Do you know what model you got? I may be able to secure a few more, and if I do, I'll put them up for sale/trade in the forums. Let us know how it goes in your A/B testing.

I have been considering a power conditioner for my OMZ for a while based on Ori's recommendation. However, he recommended one of the TrippLites (LC1200, LC1800, etc.) that includes voltage regulation. Then I read your post about you using a SmartPower and Ori using a Powervar and decided to go with just the power conditioner. It was an easy decision as I picked one up off Ebay brand new for $32.

I got the Powervar ABC150-11. There are actually quite a few used ones going for $10 - $15 after bidding has ended.

May 16, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #79 of 94
Awesome! That's good pricing on them.

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #80 of 94
Juuussst bumping this to annoy Herandu, lol...

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #81 of 94
Quote:

Juuussst bumping this to annoy Herandu, lol...

YESH!

x2
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #82 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YESH!

x2
biggrin.gif

Me? I am not annoyed. I just find it most peculiar that a few people should run to admin and complain about me keep telling everyone how good the TC-7510 is compared to some of the DACs peddled here, whilst others actively keep the overpriced OMZ, DAC1 etc. in the limelight. In this day and age of tight finances and overhyped expensive stuff, someone has to make a stand and point people to the value for money stuff
tongue.gif
. But I guess money talks, and there are a lot of gullible rich kids out there
rolleyes.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #83 of 94
That sucks...I think everyone is entitiled to their opinions, yours included...don't see why you'd get reported for having one. Our views may differ, but why would you be reported for espousing yours? I can see your point regarding the Beresford, expenses of equipment, etc. Hell, even the OMZ compared to the standard Zhaolu is at least double, and there's less parts in it! Addition by subtraction, I guess. Still, I wouldn't consider it "overpriced", but then again, there are DACs that cost far more, bordering on stupid, and the OMZ blows them away, IMO, so in that respect I'd consider it a bargain. Either a bargain compared to spending a grand, or an overpriced mid-level DAC, it's all just a matter of opinion. By the way, "Juuussst bumping this to annoy Herandu, lol..." was just a joke...I'm just messin'.

Jun 6, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #84 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me? I am not annoyed. I just find it most peculiar that a few people should run to admin and complain about me keep telling everyone how good the TC-7510 is compared to some of the DACs peddled here, whilst others actively keep the overpriced OMZ, DAC1 etc. in the limelight. In this day and age of tight finances and overhyped expensive stuff, someone has to make a stand and point people to the value for money stuff
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

DAC1 overpriced? Who says? I never heard that before.. The DAC1 is a bargain.. Read the reviews. Just because you are too cheat to pony up the dough, you insult the DAC1 & the people who bought it.. I'm far from rich, buddy.. I work at BB.. Gullible is believing the 7510 is better then DACs in the 1,000 price range.. You did more then tell people how good you think the TC-7510 is.. You & a few other zealot owners made outlandish statements. It will blow away my DAC1 & my modded XDAC3, type rhetoric.. The OP isn't peddling anything.. You on the other hand kept begging other members to buy it.. & got to the point where it was heading toward cyber harassment.. & your post read like one big info commercial.. Your post irked me.. playing the victim & double standard, it's not fair game.. I'm just like all the others who give impressions on DAC, biz..

Jun 6, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #85 of 94
Quote:

That sucks...I think everyone is entitiled to their opinions, yours included...don't see why you'd get reported for having one. Our views may differ, but why would you be reported for espousing yours? I can see your point regarding the Beresford, expenses of equipment, etc. Hell, even the OMZ compared to the standard Zhaolu is at least double, and there's less parts in it! Addition by subtraction, I guess. Still, I wouldn't consider it "overpriced", but then again, there are DACs that cost far more, bordering on stupid, and the OMZ blows them away, IMO, so in that respect I'd consider it a bargain. Either a bargain compared to spending a grand, or an overpriced mid-level DAC, it's all just a matter of opinion. By the way, "Juuussst bumping this to annoy Herandu, lol..." was just a joke...I'm just messin'.

& you know how? so the OMZ blows away the Tri Vista, & DACs in the 3,000 plus range? Anytime I hear blown away I take it with a grain of salt. I have no qualm with the Modded OMZ being better then the DAC1.. I heard some owners state this, but you lose all credibility with me, unless you A/B your OMZ against DACs 'bording on stupid' in price..
rolleyes.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #86 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

unsolicited PMs peddling products are not cool

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #87 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
& you know how? so the OMZ blows away the Tri Vista, & DACs in the 3,000 plus range? Anytime I hear blown away I take it with a grain of salt. I have no qualm with the Modded OMZ being better then the DAC1.. I heard some owners state this, but you lose all credibility with me, unless you A/B your OMZ against DACs 'bording on stupid' in price..
rolleyes.gif

No, sorry...you misunderstand my intentions there. I wasn't referring to any specific DAC, and certainly wasn't slandering the likes of say, the Benchmark or Lavry. From impressions I've gathered from folks who have heard really expensive DACs and the OMZ, it has compared well or favorably is all I meant. Some, yes, I have heard opinions that it did blow them away, all things considered. Sure a $3K DAC may sound better, but in terms of diminshing returns, I've heard that the performance of the more expensive DAC it didnt merit the 5X or 6X price hike is all. When I posted the "bordering on stupid" comment, I had in mind DACs in the above $15K range. I certainly see no problem with actually spending that much if you have it, but I question the necessity...I mean, can it really sound THAT much better than a DAC that costs more than a car (synergy aside of course)?

You do have a valid point though that I haven't heard a buttload of other DACs out there, and haven't done A/B comps with the OMZ, so fair enough. I have heard a fair few in my search for my DAC, and I usually tend to go with initial impressions (yes or no, like this or don't), and then give ones I DO like closer scrutiny. From the get-go, I loved the OMZ's qualities, it fit my budget, and figured to be the best bang for my buck (although sure I could have bought a stock Zhaolu and spent far less doing the mods myself...something I have never done, had no intention of doing, and wouldn't have the skills or patience to do in the first place).

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #88 of 94
i can say there are times were i prefer my Zhaolu over a Lavry DA10, its not very much, however the zhaolu seems more boomy, less detail...sometimes i think if DACs were cheese...the Lavry would be a really nice sharp chedder, the zhaolu be a mild colby =)

Now this is a 200$ DAC vs a 1000$ DAC...i mean, dont get me wrong, both sound great...however the lavry sounds better overall...not by a huge margin, but it does.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #89 of 94
See? That's all I'm saying, lol. A grand for the Lavry isn't stupid money by any stretch. More than I was willing to spend? Sure. Pennies for some rich CEO-type? Yeah.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #90 of 94
one has to remember, most upgrades that costs THOUSANDS of dollars are normally pretty subtle in differences.

I can see how one would like this and that, everyones ear is different.

Personally, i cant see me spending 800$ over my Zhaolu for the Lavry...its really nice...if i had the money, i would certainly consider it...or maybe if i got a INSANELY good deal on it. The one i have now is NOT mine actually. It belongs to another Head-fier, who i know personally from a few meets already. He gave me a chance to listen to it and compare it, see what i think of it. Ive had it since Canjam, however want to get a mini meet going in South florida soon to let people hear it for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back