Dac Opinions and Options Please...
Jun 4, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #16 of 34
Try some R2R DACs . Denafrips Ares 2 is in your budget. Or some Audio-Gd models R2R R11 or the dedicated R-1.

Or a DAC with a Tube Output section. Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 might be a little over budget. But it is a Canadian brand and you have endless possibilities to tune due to its modular design.

+1

R2R-11 is currently on sale. Sadly since April is not longer in production. When you get it, R-1 will be your next target, so may be you should chose R1 right now, even in CAN$ it is exceeding your budget.

From the other propositions I would try Bifrost 2 (but not below this level) or Ares II. BF2 is not NOS. Both have a limited upgradeability due to a lack of I2S and a price difference of Ares to the R-1 just cover a cost of low phase jitter Accusilicon clocks, so it is worth to go with R-1.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #23 of 34
You are lucky being in the position that you can order and return if you are not satisfied. It makes Schiit so popular. For all others China products have no competition in terms of value for money.

BTW, Audio GD has a new US distributor.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #24 of 34
Honestly, i'm baffled with how much DAC's there are out there. Business must be going good with DAC's otherwise there wouldn't be so many options, right?

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #26 of 34
Honestly, i'm baffled with how much DAC's there are out there. Business must be going good with DAC's otherwise there wouldn't be so many options, right?
When margins are as high as they are in audiophilia, there will be many entries into the arena.

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #27 of 34
When margins are as high as they are in audiophilia, there will be many entries into the arena.
It will be more entries when others learn how a modern R2R implementation should be done.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #29 of 34
DACs are one of the few hi-fi components that is experiencing a period of innovation right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back