DAC: Non-oversampling (MHDT) vs Upsampling (Pico)?
Sep 8, 2009 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

koven

15 Hz + 150 dB = poopy pants
Right now I have an upsampling Pico... and I'm thinking about "upgrading" to a Havana or Paradisea.. which I've read is NOS

I'm not too sure what this means and was wondering if someone could explain the differences. Do you guys think this would actually be an upgrade or more of a side-grade?

It will be used w/ my computer playing mostly FLAC but some 192-320kpbs mp3's.

Thanks

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I have an upsampling Pico... and I'm thinking about "upgrading" to a Havana or Paradisea.. which I've read is NOS

I'm not too sure what this means and was wondering if someone could explain the differences. Do you guys think this would actually be an upgrade or more of a side-grade?

You might find this thread interesting:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/nos...ing-bs-438220/
In particular, the comments from Dan Lavry.

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 6
By me.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/nos...ml#post5985767

beerchug.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 6
I'd rather have something else, not NOS DAC, how about one of Audio-gd's DAC?

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 6
^ Hmm, what about the DAC-19MK3?

I'm looking for a worthy upgrade from the Pico, doesn't have to be NOS.. I've been reading good things about the Paradisea/Havan and like how they look too. But if Audio-gd is a better value, that's all that matters to me in the end.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 6
Something based around an ESS Sabre chip is what you'd need to notice a significant improvement over the Pico, IMO. I got to compare an AMB Y2 DAC prototype to the Pico at one point, which uses a totl Wolfston chip in a pretty much optimal configuration, and they sounded very similar.

[size=xx-small]truth be told, I actually slightly preferred the Pico...[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back