DAC gift for audio loving dad?
Sep 4, 2018 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shwaz

New Head-Fier
Hi!

Looking for advice - my father is using a Meridian Explorer as his mobile audio solution, but he's looking for a more robust DAC for his home setup (headphones, speakers). He's currently running the Explorer -> tube pre-amp -> tube amp.

I'm considering getting him the Bifrost, or the Modi Multibit. Would like to make sure I'm putting money in the right place, and that whatever I get will actually be an upgrade from his Meridian Explorer, and curious about thoughts on the Bifrost (with AK4490) vs. Modi 2 Multibit.

Thanks for any suggestions and opinions!

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 10
A Chord Mojo can possibly replace his Meridian Explorer while being a very nice DAC to use at home.
thanks! i'd heard of it but never looked into the Mojo before. pretty badass little box. that's more than i wanted to spend, but hell, it's his 70th birthday, maybe i'll go for it. and then be jealous of his superior audio setup...

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 10
A Chord Mojo can possibly replace his Meridian Explorer while being a very nice DAC to use at home.

The problem with the Mojo is its battery powered,which means that it will need recharging right in the middle of a listening session. I kept mine plugged in 24/7 and used it as a desktop DAC,but that eventually led to the batteries dying and eventually it wouldnt hold a charge at all. Chord payed to have mine fixed(great customer service) but if a desktop solution is what youre after I cannot recommend the Mojo in that capacity.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 10
The problem with the Mojo is its battery powered,which means that it will need recharging right in the middle of a listening session. I kept mine plugged in 24/7 and used it as a desktop DAC,but that eventually led to the batteries dying and eventually it wouldnt hold a charge at all. Chord payed to have mine fixed(great customer service) but if a desktop solution is what youre after I cannot recommend the Mojo in that capacity.

I was going to suggest leaving it plugged in 24/7. As long as the charger could give enough power then I would not expect any problems, but then again I have seen others with the same issue you had. I never had that problem though.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 10
Yeah I mean its a great warm sounding device,and if mobile were to be the primary usage I often recommend the Mojo myself,but not for desktop.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 10
super helpful discussion, thanks!

he seems content with the Explorer, so rather than upgrading to a Mojo I might better put my money towards a standalone DAC that he can leave plugged in for his home setup. It might be more convenient and/or easier to have separate systems (and maybe save me a few bucks).

to make this more specific, then, thoughts on a desktop DAC? Aiming for price in the $300s, cap around $500 because technology...

Sep 4, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 10
Does your father prefer a warm analog sound or a detailed,digital sound?

If its the former I liked the AGD R2R-11 in that price range.

Sep 4, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 10
Does your father prefer a warm analog sound or a detailed,digital sound?

If its the former I liked the AGD R2R-11 in that price range.

I'd say the warm; I know he purchased the tube amp and pre-amp because he wanted some of that "tube sound." I'll give it a look. The product page is a bit confusing and their website as a whole not confidence inspiring - this seems to be a DAC/Amp combo unit though, and he already has the tube setup for amplification.

Sep 4, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Yeah it is a bit funky,but totally legit. I had the same thoughts when I was looking to buy from them too. You drop them an email and they will respond with an invoice,you pay them and then they ship. Theyve been in business for quite a long time,so theyre not a scam website.

Regarding the amp aspect: Tubes are best suited for 250ohm+ headphones,and while the amp section of the R2R-11 can also drive those types of headphones,it is best suited for low ohm headphones.

After this addition to his gear your father can drive most any headphone out there,except for e-stats,Abyss or HE6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back