DAC for tube amp
Sep 1, 2008 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Denim

500+ Head-Fier
I intend to "update" my stereo system this fall and need some advice. I have the majority of my CD's as FLAC and MP3's which will be housed in a dedicated Music Server. (Hope to have that piece completed in a month or so.) I have a set of Klipsch speakers (horn speakers) and will either find / buy / build a tube based amp to drive them. (Still hoping to find an old Mcintosh at a garage sale)

Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of when searching for a suitable DAC for this system? That is, with a digital stream on one side feeding tubes on the other, do some DAC's bridge the link better than others?

I'd prefer to build the DAC to keep the cost down and quality up. Any advice / suggestions welcome.

Sep 2, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try a KECES DA-131/151, perhaps?

The 151 looks like a nice fit. Price is right at around 250 or so. I'm pleased that it has only one function; to be a DAC. No volume control or any other features. The reviews I've seen had it paired with tube amps and all were positive reviews.

I've got plenty of time and you have provided a worthy suggestion
wink_face.gif

Perhaps a few other suggestions will come rolling in. If not, I'll probably try it out. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back