Dac for Swans M200MKIII
Jan 15, 2014 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Capri87

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm getting this speaker soon and would like to know what dac is the best pairing for it? I'm more into portable gears and just started to get interested in PC audio..My budget will be around $300? Thanks in advance :)

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 40
Hi all, I'm getting this speaker soon and would like to know what dac is the best pairing for it? I'm more into portable gears and just started to get interested in PC audio..My budget will be around $300? Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

If you wanted to save some cash, Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $60) comes with the CS4398 DAC chip.
Schitt Modi USB DAC, $99

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 40
Why not get a DAC that has a headphone amp built in and also has the pre-amp output you need? That way, you can get you some good headphones next to use with the killer DAC you have. The Peachtree Idac has no headphone jack. I've also always thought Peachtree was a little overpriced.

Look into these. Each also allows you to hook up both via USB and/or optical:

Maverick Audio D1 Plus (tube amp sound for your speakers)
Audio-GD NFB-11.32 (I would expect the DAC to be a bit better than the Maverick, but it is more expensive)
Emotiva XDA-2 (probably same class as NFB-11.32, but not certain)

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 40
Hi there.. I don't have any headphones as I'm more a IEM person.. Also, I thought M200MKIII already has an inbuilt amplifier? If I still get a DAC with inbuilt amp, won't that means I gotta pass through 2 amps?

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 40
The M200MKIII has amplifiers built in for the speakers. Headphones require their own amplifier when used with a DAC. A headphone amp/DAC/pre-amp like the ones above sends the signal from the DAC to the pre-amp. The pre-amp then has a line out for the speakers (for connecting any additional external amp) and also sends the signal to the internal headphone amp separately. So no. Using the line out, the speakers do not get double amped.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 40
I see.. But I guess for now, maybe I'll just start with a DAC and see how's the sound quality first. Having a full setup like amp, preamp, dac, speakers is a little too much for me to digest now lol

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 40
I've always thought Peachtree products were somewhat over priced, but that's just an impression.

For advice on good, high quality dedicated DACs like you are considering, there's a better forum on Head-Fi: http://www.head-fi.org/f/7/dedicated-source-components

Might want to search (read) there some and start a post to get the more DAC experts involved in making recommendations :)

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #13 of 40
Oh yea, this sounds cool.. A good place to educate myself with DAC!

And at the same time, poisonous for me :tongue_smile:

I'm sure everyone there will help spend your money :wink:

But seriously, there are many higher end DACs that are way overpriced. Talking with the headophiles who have tried different high end DACs will help you to make certain you get the best you can for your money :)

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 40
What I've discovered in audio communities is that if you go with the thing that lots of people recommend--and that are recommended by people with plenty of experience--usually you get a good value for your money. With a DAC, look for a product that has been out for a year or more, or a brand that has been around awhile, that the head-fi community likes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back