DAC for powered monitors and headphones?
Sep 13, 2007 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jconly

Head-Fier
Hello everyone.
I currently have a pair of M-Audio BX5's that I am running straight from the headphone out port on my laptop.

I've talked with a few people, and have been suggested the EMU 0404 for these speakers. It has balanced TRS outputs, which is perfect, as well as the ability for either optical or USB input. (I have optical out straight from my motherboard, while I am short on USB slots) I also like how it has a volume control knob for the monitors.

Doesn't seem like I bad deal, since it gives me a pre-amp for the speakers, but I'm wondering about the built in headphone amp. I would like to purchase a nice set of headphones down the road (maybe halfway through the year), and was wondering just what this amp is capable of powering.

I don't have a TON of money to spend, but if I can save some $$ in the long run by spending more now, it only makes sense to me.

From what I've been told, I should not run another amp inline with my speakers, so I'm assuming a combination of headphone amp / dac is a dangerous thing to do. It would be nice to be able to find a solution that allows for a portable amp I can attach to my iPod.

I'm very interested to hear what you guys have to say.

EDIT: Oh, I should also probably throw this out there. I may want to add a subwoofer to these speakers at some point, if that effects things.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 9
Even if you don't use the 0404 USB's built-in headphone amplifier (which many people say sounds reasonably good), it's still the only solution in its price range for controlling balanced output. I've struggled to find a better solution for my own similar purposes, and the next step up appears to be the Benchmark DAC-1 at $975 for the non-USB version and $1,275 for the USB version. Even E-MU's top-of-the-line 1616M for $375 has significant drawbacks to the 0404 USB (no monitor control, not portable, can't be used as a standalone DAC/amp).

You'll probably want an active subwoofer to match the monitors. Most active subwoofers take into consideration that you don't have a .1 LFE channel, so they act as a pass-through for the signal; they have balanced input plugs that accept the full-range frequency signal, and balanced output plugs that send the signal to your monitors.

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 9
I have one of these that I use with my BX5As:
http://www.krksys.com/index2.php?cat...ge=rokit_rp10s

I do mini->dual XLR between my sound card and the amp, then XLRs to each of the monitors.

The amp is a bit much for these speakers, but I don't mind being able to turn it up to 11 :)

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 9
Easy answer: Presonus Central Station. Passive volume control for your BX5s. Not one, but two very good headamps. Built in DAC. You can even hook up a subwoofer to it. Incredible bargain for all that you get. How do I know? Check my sig.
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 9
Well, the central station is a little pricier than I would like to go at this point.
The more I've been reading, it really seems like the 0404 is the way to go. I may very well pick one up tomorrow at Guitar Center. Especially since they will match Amazon's price.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 9
The Central Station is a nice unit and a relative bargain with lots of capability. Then you have the Benchmark DAC1, Lavry DA10, and Apogee Mini-DAC. The latter can be had for ~$700 new (sans USB or firewire), and is a bit more convenient than the other two in that the headphone output and line outputs can be turned on/off seperately (i.e. you don't need to power down your monitors or unplug them from the DAC when you use the cans).

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 9
Monitors are near-field powered speakers used in pro audio environments and (also) in some peoples' homes to listen to music. I'd like to add the Aqvox DAC. Warm, very nice and involving sound.

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jconly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the central station is a little pricier than I would like to go at this point.
The more I've been reading, it really seems like the 0404 is the way to go. I may very well pick one up tomorrow at Guitar Center. Especially since they will match Amazon's price.

I use an 0404/USB with some Event ALP5 monitors.They sound great with balanced cables and this set-up will work fine with your monitors as well.The headphone amp sounds clean but without much power.The Sennheiser HD595 headphones seem to be one of the better choices.I have some Beyer DT-860s plugged into mine but I mostly run the monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back