DAC for Popcorn hour
Nov 12, 2009 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cha_indian

New Head-Fier
I am been trying to figure out which DAC would suit a Popcorn hour player...Can anyone help me ?? I am looking at chinese DACs cos they are cheaper and easliy available.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 3
I think you'll need to give us an idea of your budget before we could make specific recommendations. What will you be connecting to this, BTW?

I believe you will need a DAC with coaxial or optical input, which may depend on what PH you have. From what I saw, some models of the PH have optical only, while others have both. Many DACs have both coax and optical if they have SPDIF at all (or they may have something like BNC that can be adapted to coaxial).

A USB-only DAC probably won't work, because it needs to be configured by a computer to output audio through it. I doubt the PH hour is set up to do this, even if it has USB ports.

Nov 14, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 3
First of all thanks for your reply friend!

My PCH has coaxial only, no optical port on it. I am looking at $300 max and in this price range i have noted that Valab, Zhoulu, Gigawork DAC kit , Lite DAC AH on the ebay stores.

My music is mostly in the form of 128kbps and i have Jamo Speakers driven by Bada DC222 amp. The music as of now is harsh to my ears...sounds as if the vocalists are shouting at me!!!!! Instrumentals sound detailed and airy. What i like is a Marantz like sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back