DAC for Audio-Technica ATH-M50 on a budget
Jun 15, 2014 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

classycans

Head-Fier
Hello! I am new to this site but I some things about headphones. about a year ago I purchased the sennheisers px360. but I have been left wanting more. so I am planning on getting the audio-technical ath-m50. but because they are only $120 I have money in the budget to get something more, and some people here were saying a DAC would help the sound quality. so... I want a usb DAC that is under 100 bucks. I will be using it for gaming and music listening (vocal and dubstep, if that makes a difference) it would be nice if the DAC boosted the bass just a little, because I have heard that the m50s might lack on that, but I am not Too much of a basshead
basshead.gif
. but I would also like to know if I should buy a DAC at all? please reply and thank you for reading
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 15
  Hello! I am new to this site but I some things about headphones. about a year ago I purchased the sennheisers px360. but I have been left wanting more. so I am planning on getting the audio-technical ath-m50. but because they are only $120 I have money in the budget to get something more, and some people here were saying a DAC would help the sound quality. so... I want a USB DAC that is under 100 bucks. I will be using it for gaming and music listening (vocal and dubstep, if that makes a difference) it would be nice if the DAC boosted the bass just a little, because I have heard that the m50s might lack on that, but I am not Too much of a basshead
basshead.gif
. but I would also like to know if I should buy a DAC at all? please reply and thank you for reading
biggrin.gif

My two cents and armature opinion.

The ATH-M50s have plenty of bass, really doubt you could want more bass then what the ATH-M50s provide.
The ATH-M50s are usually not recommended for headphone surround sound gaming.
The Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound cards ($20-$40) should be good enough for use with the ATH-M50s
If you only needed to spend $20-$40 for a sound card, how much of your budget could you put towards better headphones?

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 15

My two cents and armature opinion.

The ATH-M50s have plenty of bass, really doubt you could want more bass then what the ATH-M50s provide.
The ATH-M50s are usually not recommended for headphone surround sound gaming.
The Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound cards ($20-$40) should be good enough for use with the ATH-M50s
If you only needed to spend $20-$40 for a sound card, how much of your budget could you put towards better headphones?

wow! wasn't expecting a response so soon! was just about to leave. I have about $200 that I could spend on headphones and equipment in total. I guess I should have been more clear, sorry. I don't want an internal sound card, I want a usb DAC or amp. but if you really think I should then I guess I could just spend all my money on better headphones. any suggestions?

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 15
A DAC/amp is pretty much pointless at your budget. You're better off just buying another pair of headphones. Preferably open, for gaming. I recommend the Philips Fidelio X1. Doesn't need an amp.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 15
when you say open, do you mean like open back? like the headphones that have the holes in the actual material? I want headphones that are more noise cancelling. although those Philips Fidelio X1's do look snazzy!
wink_face.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 15
  wow! wasn't expecting a response so soon! was just about to leave. I have about $200 that I could spend on headphones and equipment in total. I guess I should have been more clear, sorry. I don't want an internal sound card, I want a usb DAC or amp. but if you really think I should then I guess I could just spend all my money on better headphones. any suggestions?

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones (used $140 to $150).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Audiophile-Closed-Back-Dynamic-Headphones-NEW-/231256028246?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item35d7eef456
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Black-Headsets-brand-new-never-used-distressed-box-/181432688310?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2a3e3b1eb6

Get the Hifiman HE Velour ear pads, $10+shipping.
http://www.headphone.com/products/hifiman-velour-earpads-pair

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 15
  A DAC/amp is pretty much pointless at your budget. You're better off just buying another pair of headphones. Preferably open, for gaming. I recommend the Philips Fidelio X1. Doesn't need an amp.

hey those headphones are actually looking good now (if not just a bit over budget) many people are saying that replacing the cable will make them sound better. what can I buy??
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 15
  when you say open, do you mean like open back? like the headphones that have the holes in the actual material? I want headphones that are more noise cancelling. although those Philips Fidelio X1's do look snazzy!
wink_face.gif

Noise isolating. Noise cancelling utilizes electronics; a microphone picks up outside noise and generates a tone in order to cancel it out, and this affects the sound you here.

Anyway, if you want a noise isolating headphone and something good for gaming, you've got very few options. The Creative Aurvana Live! is pretty much the only headphone I think I'd be willing to suggest looking at as far as closed-back goes and it's not even that good at isolation. Some people are going to say their favorite headphone and tell me I'm wrong, I know, but open headphones are almost always going to be better for gaming than closed.

This says nothing about music, of course. Closed headphones sound just fine for music; it's positional cues and imaging that are going to be an issue with closed headphones. If you're willing to accept that, I can recommend Shure SRH440s. But if you're hoping to use them as a portable, you'll need a zip-tie or something for the ultra-long cable - which has (of course) a proprietary locking mechanism.

EDIT: I see you replied while I was typing.

hey those headphones are actually looking good now (if not just a bit over budget) many people are saying that replacing the cable will make them sound better. what can I buy??
confused_face_2.gif

Don't worry about it. Maybe if you plugged it into a weak source, it would make a difference. Otherwise, I'm using the stock cable and I have absolutely no problems. It's more a caution than an actual issue. We're talking an ohm of difference and I don't think that matters if you plug your headphones into the back of your PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back