DAC/DAP Recommendation?
Jan 6, 2020 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

galangerz

100+ Head-Fier
Planning to make one purchase for 2020 that'll last me years :)

currently using the M11 with an Anole VX, want a source upgrade

Lately, I've been easily swayed by DAP's DAC chips and price-to-performance. Although I know the chip isn't everything in a dap, I keep staring at the double AK4499 in the M15, I guess I'm a marketing whore...
I'm currently considering:
M15 for the chips and because it just came out
M11 Pro if the M15 reviews say its not worth it and the THX amp still sounds better
LP6000 because of a video from Z Review saying its better than the M11 Pro, and a Headfonia review saying it has wider soundstage than the SE1000
LPGT, probably the only TOTL I'd buy at the moment, mostly because the SE2000 to me seems like too much luxury in material, and the name adds quite the premium, and the N8 Seems not to be to my taste (i don't need heaps of power, and the tubes probably won't satisfy my want for lots of air and hyper detail)

Haven't considered the WM1A or the WM1Z since they haven't had an update (however I could totally be wrong and ignorant)

Also considering a portable DAC so I can use my phone interface to control it, and because I feel it will take longer for it to be obsolete (unlike Fiio's Android 7)

Thanks

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 9

Lately, I've been easily swayed by DAP's DAC chips and price-to-performance. Although I know the chip isn't everything in a dap, I keep staring at the double AK4499 in the M15, I guess I'm a marketing whore...
M11 Pro if the M15 reviews say its not worth it and the THX amp still sounds better
LP6000 because of a video from Z Review saying its better than the M11 Pro, and a Headfonia review saying it has wider soundstage than the SE1000
LPGT, probably the only TOTL I'd buy at the moment, mostly because the SE2000 to me seems like too much luxury in material, and the name adds quite the premium, and the N8 Seems not to be to my taste (i don't need heaps of power, and the tubes probably won't satisfy my want for lots of air and hyper detail)

Haven't considered the WM1A or the WM1Z since they haven't had an update (however I could totally be wrong and ignorant)

Also considering a portable DAC so I can use my phone interface to control it, and because I feel it will take longer for it to be obsolete (unlike Fiio's Android 7)

Thanks
Why not consider a SE100? It's the sweet spot in A&Ks lineup

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 9
Why not consider a SE100? It's the sweet spot in A&Ks lineup
Thanks for the rec! Actually the first dap I've had :) let it go because I've heard you can get comparable sound for cheaper, then went the dx220, didn't like the UI, then to the m11 which I have now :)

Just want to stop chasing the latest and greatest for at least a few years

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 9

Thanks

I listened to the qdc Anole VX with the qdc 4.4mm cable from 4.4mm balanced port on my Sony 1A. It was a fantastic combination. I didn’t demo it that long, but I’m pretty good at learning the basic character of a combo in a short time. Still that doesn’t mean it will be the perfect pair for your use, you just need to try the pair for a long while. The Anole VX being just slightly warm and the 1A being close to neutral but with ever so slight warmth was perfect.

With the Sony 1A you get 30 hour battery life, way enough power as well as complete isolation from any distortion artifacts from cell phone signals near by. They are the only DAPs that seem to have that ability. Also dead quiet. You can pick one up around $1000 new. Of course I own two Sony DAPs and a low cost FiiO amp. So you’ll hear folks defending their purchases. Still if someone is truly happy about what he owns.......he wants to write about it.

The wondering about what would be next from Sony has gone on for years....... and years. I purchased a 1Z in November of 2017, then a 1A a couple months later. There is always a chance that a new model will come out, but what if it doesn’t happen for 6 more months or a full year? Folks that have these DAPs are super happy, one member has 7000 hours clocked up. Sony recommends 200 hours till they sound like what they were designed to sound like. They sound way different from hour 1 to 50, then change again at about hour 100.

One thing I would take note of is the whole FiiO against Sony idea. The Sony players are a completely new and different design method. I’ve heard the M11 and while it was an amazing deal (and got loud) for $460........though it didn’t have the cohesive quality of the 1A. You’ll notice too there are no circuit board photographs of the M15 or M11pro or M11 to be found? Sony Corp on the other hand is happy to have these board photographs and proof inside clear display box examples of actual 1A/1Z boards on display in public, as that’s what they are proud of. :)

The other thing is Android updates. They only can update so long on a FiIO player then there is no support for future software as the new software only works with current updates. I saw the (Z) review on the LP6000 and IT WAS super cool. I liked how the operation was so very fast and simple. Though way way less battery life.

My suggestion is to try and listen to gear with your qdc Anole VX. There is nothing to replace an experience of listening. What happens is everything has a character and a personality. But in the end it’s tone. I don’t EQ so tone is pretty important. I only add two notches of bass to the Noble Encore K-10, and don’t EQ anything else, as I don’t like it.

But every DAP is going to have a certain sound. The hard part is it takes time to know that sound. At times it may be weeks of use before you truly know what you can live with and love.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 9
I listened to the qdc Anole VX with the qdc 4.4mm cable from 4.4mm balanced port on my Sony 1A. It was a fantastic combination. I didn’t demo it that long, but I’m pretty good at learning the basic character of a combo in a short time. Still that doesn’t mean it will be the perfect pair for your use, you just need to try the pair for a long while. The Anole VX being just slightly warm and the 1A being close to neutral but with ever so slight warmth was perfect.

With the Sony 1A you get 30 hour battery life, way enough power as well as complete isolation from any distortion artifacts from cell phone signals near by. They are the only DAPs that seem to have that ability. Also dead quiet. You can pick one up around $1000 new. Of course I own two Sony DAPs and a low cost FiiO amp. So you’ll hear folks defending their purchases. Still if someone is truly happy about what he owns.......he wants to write about it.

The wondering about what would be next from Sony has gone on for years....... and years. I purchased a 1Z in November of 2017, then a 1A a couple months later. There is always a chance that a new model will come out, but what if it doesn’t happen for 6 more months or a full year? Folks that have these DAPs are super happy, one member has 7000 hours clocked up. Sony recommends 200 hours till they sound like what they were designed to sound like. They sound way different from hour 1 to 50, then change again at about hour 100.

One thing I would take note of is the whole FiiO against Sony idea. The Sony players are a completely new and different design method. I’ve heard the M11 and while it was an amazing deal (and got loud) for $460........though it didn’t have the cohesive quality of the 1A. You’ll notice too there are no circuit board photographs of the M15 or M11pro or M11 to be found? Sony Corp on the other hand is happy to have these board photographs and proof inside clear display box examples of actual 1A/1Z boards on display in public, as that’s what they are proud of. :)

The other thing is Android updates. They only can update so long on a FiIO player then there is no support for future software as the new software only works with current updates. I saw the (Z) review on the LP6000 and IT WAS super cool. I liked how the operation was so very fast and simple. Though way way less battery life.

My suggestion is to try and listen to gear with your qdc Anole VX. There is nothing to replace an experience of listening. What happens is everything has a character and a personality. But in the end it’s tone. I don’t EQ so tone is pretty important. I only add two notches of bass to the Noble Encore K-10, and don’t EQ anything else, as I don’t like it.

But every DAP is going to have a certain sound. The hard part is it takes time to know that sound. At times it may be weeks of use before you truly know what you can live with and love.

Good luck!

Yeah the 1Z and 1A has amazing battery life :)

However I think the 6000 16 hours is more than enough :) as long as it lasts a day

And here's a picture of the board of the m15:

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4456617497809643

And for sure experience would be my best measuring stick, but the only ones available for testing near me are the SE2000 and the N8. No ibasso, and no lotoo. I heard lotoo is good at playing tracks the way it is, while fiio and a&k can bring in a bit of colour. But mainly looking for soundstage and detail :) if a used 1Z comes up I'll definitely pay attention to it :wink:

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 9
Depends on whether or not you use apps for streaming music. I think In a few years all of us with m11-m15 will run into possible app support problems since Fiio is using android 7 which is already somewhat older. If you want a portable dac and can wait Fiio already said they have a spring event planned and the next logical devices to get an upgrade would be the lower tier daps and probably an update to the q5 and q1 series of portable dac/amp.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 9
WM1A is my favourite reference grade digital audio player (DAP) before I come into contact with other brands like IBasso Audio DX220 or Lotoo Paw 6000. WM1A has good neutrality in terms of sonic presentation which makes it an all-rounder for different genres.

Standing in front of Paw 6000, I actually prefer the neutrality in Paw 6000 more. The presentation is more analogue as compared to WM1A. WM1A sounds technical and cold when we compared with Lotoo. I think this analogue sounding DAP really won my heart.
The battery life of Paw 6000 is around half of WM1A’s 33 hours. Rated at 16 hours, I think this is sufficient for most of the people, including me. I can charge the device once every 2-3 days.

In term of output power, I find Paw 6000 to have a better power output. Rated at 300 mW @ 32 ohms, I able to drive most of my IEMs well. Yesterday night I revisit my Tin Audio P1, a power-hungry beast. I’m glad that it’s potential is fully unveiled by Paw 6000’s powerful output.

The background of Paw 6000 is darker and the noise floor is lower too. Besides driving those power hungry beasts, Paw 6000 can handle sensitive IEMs like Campfire Audio Andromeda well too.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 9
Hello Hello.Hopefully the author won't mind me borrowing his thread.
Has anyone compared Xduoo x3ii and Acmee mf-01 with Colorfly C3? purely sound quality-wise
I have the Colorfly C3 (waiting for Topping NX1s to arrive) and i'm using it with mainly the AT MSR7-b and a couple cheap earbuds like **** PT15, Monk+ etc
My inner capitalist awakened and asked me to consider if the two i mentioned before will sound considerably better compared to my combo (C3 +NX1s).What do you think? is it an upgrade?
i'm listening to 320 mp3s on the go.Which means it can get noisy at times (busses etc).It could be an upgrade but maybe under different circumstances?
Let me know.

EDIT: I'm keeping my current gear.I doubt it will be a big update/worth the money

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back