DAC compatible with AK4381 ?
Mar 13, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 10
DACs aren't usually pin-compatible with each other.

Even if they were, the original chip is a 16pin TSSOP package (i.e. 0.65 mm pin pitch). Unless you're an expert at soldering, it'll be almost impossible to swap another chip in successfully without damaging the chip you're removing or damaging the pads it's soldered to. I probably wouldn't try it.

Mar 13, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
DACs aren't usually pin-compatible with each other.

Even if they were, the original chip is a 16pin TSSOP package (i.e. 0.65 mm pin pitch). Unless you're an expert at soldering, it'll be almost impossible to swap another chip in successfully without damaging the chip you're removing or damaging the pads it's soldered to. I probably wouldn't try it.

I don't think its such a problem.. I've done a lot of work with SSOP chips, namely Burr Brown DACs.. they're also 0.65mm pitch - no problem.. the problem is that he's not gonna find anything else than AK4382A, which is a younger and bettered brother to AK4381 and is pin compatible.. I've told him, but he apparently don't believe me
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 10
Have you removed an SSOP device and soldered another in its place? Without damaging the removed device or the pads? Wow. Any tips for doing this properly?

Mar 13, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 10
patience, patience Wodgy
smily_headphones1.gif

yes I did that.. on top of that it was not a professional board, it was home etched.. professional board can stand more stress..

I usually solder one side of the chip together, heat it and lift using some needle or such.. then do the same with the other side and it's done.. you should be quick in order not to heat the chip longer than necessary..

Mar 13, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 10
heh i already told him the same thing glassman ... amol ... you goof

Mar 13, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 10
Removing SSOP without damaging pads is extremely hard. Unless you can afford to destroy the chip, in which case just use sharp knife to cut the pins and then it's trivial. I've never successfully removed a SSOP otherwise, but lifiting one pin at the time should work... and take a VERY long time, and still carry a lot of risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back