DAC and amp recommendation desired
Jan 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

plainbagel

Head-Fier
I'm planning to get the HD - 600s, as I enjoy classical music most as they seem to be highly rated, in my budget, and I have liked some of their more affordable headphones in the past.  I have about $400 I could spend on an amp and possibly a better DAC if it is recommended.  I plan to use my PC, it does have adjustable fan speed for the case and the CPU fan (Corsair H80).  The PC does currently have a Xonar DS sound card, however I am unsure if I should use this.  

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
I'm planning to get the HD - 600s, as I enjoy classical music most as they seem to be highly rated, in my budget, and I have liked some of their more affordable headphones in the past.  I have about $400 I could spend on an amp and possibly a better DAC if it is recommended.  I plan to use my PC, it does have adjustable fan speed for the case and the CPU fan (Corsair H80).  The PC does currently have a Xonar DS sound card, however I am unsure if I should use this.  

Heya,

Amps are like headphones, flavors every where, so which amp you choose will influence the sound of the HD600. And there's a vast array of amps. DACs are easier, they are far less coloring than an amplifier and way less than headphone to headphone. I would definitely avoid using your sound card at this point. With a $400 budget, you can get a lot of nice source gear actually. You can go solid state, or tube.

Here's a few suggestions:

DAC: Maverick TubeMagic D2 // HRT Music Streamer II // Schiit Modi // JDS Labs ODAC
AMP: Schiit Magni // Schiit Asgard // Little Dot MK III // DarkVoice SE336 // JDS Labs Objective 2

As a personal recommendation, the TubeMagic D2 with an Asgard or Objective 2 would be a very potent setup.

Very best,

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Thanks.  I am leaning towards the JDS O2 + ODAC Combo

Maybe for now get an external headphone amplifier and plug it into the Xonar DS.
Use it that way while you research for the best price for whatever DAC you want.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 11
My suggestion is similar to Purple Angel as well.  Spend the max. on the headphone. I doubt you need a DAC, the Xonar is a good soundcard.
I'm using the O2, very good for the price.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Heya,

Amps are like headphones, flavors every where, so which amp you choose will influence the sound of the HD600. And there's a vast array of amps. DACs are easier, they are far less coloring than an amplifier and way less than headphone to headphone. I would definitely avoid using your sound card at this point. With a $400 budget, you can get a lot of nice source gear actually. You can go solid state, or tube.

Here's a few suggestions:

DAC: Maverick TubeMagic D2 // HRT Music Streamer II // Schiit Modi // JDS Labs ODAC
AMP: Schiit Magni // Schiit Asgard // Little Dot MK III // DarkVoice SE336 // JDS Labs Objective 2

As a personal recommendation, the TubeMagic D2 with an Asgard or Objective 2 would be a very potent setup.

Very best,

I noticed the TubeMagic D2 has an option for an opamp upgrade.  Is that worth it, if I consider this option?
http://mav-audio.com/store/
Thanks

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
though the Xonar sound card I have is a DS PCI version (was about $45).  So it's not the quality of the ST

"So it's not the quality of the ST"?
Are you talking about getting the Asus Xonar Essence ST?

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Yes (Essence ST)

If you want to spend the cash for an Essence ST, I think that's great.
Personally I would get the Essence STX, it's cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back