DAC and amp needed to drive Sennheiser HD 600
Jan 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Opus131

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently set for a Yulong D100, which would meet my remaining budget after buying my headphones (around 300 euros). I like the idea of having both DAC and amp within the same unit, but if somebody thinks there are better options out there for a similar amount of money i wouldn't mind hearing it. I'm pretty new to this whole business, heh. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 7
The Maverick D1 has pretty much all you're in looking for in one package or alternatively you can go for a ASUS Xonar ST/STX card which wouldn't be external but it's more compact/space saving and sounds pretty good for it's price range.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 7
The Maverick D1, in my opinion, is not a good headphone amp.  I had one and it was by far the most disappointing and regretful audio purchase I have ever made.  For starters, the noise floor on the headphone amp was extremely high.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 7
No comments on the Yulong? I'm reading through the thread/review on this very forum and it seems like for the money is one of the best deals available. Plus the DAC is supposed to be good enough to use with a good dedicated amp if i ever feel like buying one in the future. But i would rather have further confirmation since i already bought the HD600 so i would like to know if there's better options specifically for those headphones. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 7
have you looked into NuForce stuff?  I have HD600s running with their Icon HDP and they sound fantastic, they're a bit higher than your price range, I can probably get a used one for 400, or you can get HD which doesnt have a preamp and is 100 bucks cheaper i believe.  

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 7
Audio Gd NFB-12 does a pretty decent job with the 650's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back