DAC and amp in the mail but I got no headphones!
Sep 23, 2017 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

HannaDudziak

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I have a Modi 2 and Vali 2 in the mail, lucky me!
Even though I love quality music so much, I don't know how/why I endured listening through built-in soundcards and phones for so long...

I am listening mostly to:
80% Opera
10% Piano solos
10% Vocal Jazz (Sinatra, NKC...)

My budget is 150 quid (call it 150 bucks, because everything's more expensive on the island), that's why I must do my research and really find something that pairs nicely with my incoming setup and my music preferences!
Could venture out to under-200, but really can't go over 200.

Been looking into AKG 712? I've read a review about it, using the same setup such as mine and it was good (just showing you guys I've done some footwork myself, not just asking for help from the get-go)

Thanks

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 16
Hi Hanna, responded to your other thread as well. Your akg712 will be a great and comfy choice. If you don't mind used, you may come across a hd600 or hd650 and these are good buys as well.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 16
A used 600 would be great for you, the AKG is also a solid choice!

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 16
Having a £150 budget I would go with AKG K702 and Beyerdynamic DT 990 being a second choice. Both od these headphones are great for opera :)
Of course AKG K712 would be even better, but that pair is more expansive.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 16
dzięki :)
I'll take a Polish person's advice about Opera any day!
I've already placed an order for the AKG712, they just look really nice and reviews are great. Used value seems to hold fairly, in case I don't find myself attached to them.

Thanks to all :)

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 16
That's exactly my point.
It's why I said it's not working like that in what is relevant to me - England.

I know you get much better deals in the USA but The import tax, VAT, customs handling fee and specific courier service required to deliver stock liable for customs is like 40% extra in the end.

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 16
That's exactly my point.
It's why I said it's not working like that in what is relevant to me - England.

I know you get much better deals in the USA but The import tax, VAT, customs handling fee and specific courier service required to deliver stock liable for customs is like 40% extra in the end.

Perhaps you missed when I said "including England"? I've seen countless headphones on the Head-Fi classifieds (and other sites) sell for significantly below retail there.

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 16
dunno how I've invoked you to present such an assertive argument about the UK second hand market.
First, I'll just say I appreciate your time spent here and I have a lot of love for you (no sarcasm).

I am an antique trader in musical instruments (the kind that puts music IN records, not produce music OUT of records :) ) since 1998 and my mileage is different.
I am also a generally very stingy person and I always buy my stuff at the cheapest available offer, sometimes second hand. I also sell my stuff and try to get the most money out.

My personal observation is:
1. Our market is a lot smaller, so if you are looking for something specific, you may not find it! we just have less people on the market and thus less stuff.
2. Second hand items here tend to be offered at prices close to new. I think it's the typical English careless attitude about broken/scuffed things, English people just don't care.
Personally, if I see a scratch or human-oil residue, I am not buying, I'd rather save for new.

Anyway, thanks for the input and I hope I've not burnt myself with you because I may need future advise :)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 16
dunno how I've invoked you to present such an assertive argument about the UK second hand market.
First, I'll just say I appreciate your time spent here and I have a lot of love for you (no sarcasm).

I am an antique trader in musical instruments (the kind that puts music IN records, not produce music OUT of records :) ) since 1998 and my mileage is different.
I am also a generally very stingy person and I always buy my stuff at the cheapest available offer, sometimes second hand. I also sell my stuff and try to get the most money out.

My personal observation is:
1. Our market is a lot smaller, so if you are looking for something specific, you may not find it! we just have less people on the market and thus less stuff.
2. Second hand items here tend to be offered at prices close to new. I think it's the typical English careless attitude about broken/scuffed things, English people just don't care.
Personally, if I see a scratch or human-oil residue, I am not buying, I'd rather save for new.

Anyway, thanks for the input and I hope I've not burnt myself with you because I may need future advise :)

It's fine. I'm just sharing my experience too. Although it may be true that the market in your country is smaller, I did notice more than a few times that sellers on the Head-Fi classifieds (etc.) still sold their headphones at far lower prices than retail in the UK and pretty much everywhere else too. Sometimes a $4,000 headphone can sell for $3,000 practically brand new! You just have to keep an eye on the market, which is why I provided those links in case you wanted to use them in the future.

And for reference, here's the link to the Head-Fi headphone classifieds: https://www.head-fi.org/f/forums/headphones-for-sale-trade.6550

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 16
I think if I am going for 4 digits headphones - and that's a big if, because 4 digits is hifi speaker area - I'll definitely consider second hand. Especially since I expect anyone who'd put 4 digits on cans to have taken proper care for them (and they probably have a few of those, so the total wear isn't as much on these specific ones).
Nice to know you can get decent money back (75% isn't bad), we live in a crazy world, you never know!

Sep 23, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 16
You might want to look at the Beyerdynamic DT150 as well. I find it to be very well suited to opera. Similar balance to HD600, slightly wider soundstage (in a sealed headphone!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back