DAC + AMP ?
Mar 4, 2006 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to build, actually more accurately "assemble" a HagUSB. I already built myself a cmoy which I like. With this new DAC I assume I'll need to use it with an amp, since it merely provides line out.

I'm looking to build another small amp to put in the same enclosure as the DAC. (with EMI/RFI shielding) The CMOY is incredibly easy and cheap to build, but I wouldn't mind trying something new or different, especially if it's better suited with the use of this HagUSB. My main goals are to still remain portable as it will be used on a laptop and to have everything in one. I know the DAC can be powered off the USB bus but at 5v, that limits the AMP to batteries only, right?

I'm driving mostly small headphones, Sony MDR-7506's, Shure E4C, UE Superfi 5 pro, Koss porta pro and Grado SR-60's. I would like the ability to drive a set of DT 990s in the future though.

Mar 5, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 8
Headphone size doesn't matter at all. The Grado's would be significantly harder to drive then the DT990s. You're not limited to batteries but it would be a good idea to use them or an extra wall plug otherwise the chips you can use will be very limited.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 8
If you don't need the spdif output, then you could also look at the USB DAC being developed by some fellow headfiers here in the DIY forum. I don't have a link at hand but if you do a search you'll find it. Search for USB DAC revision B. It's not ready yet but might be a better solution.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 8
Yea, when i said small i don't know what i was thinking. I meant low impedance. Regardless, I want an amp and a dac in one.

And no, i don't need SPDIF out, and would love to support a fellow head-fi'er or at least buy something developed in part on head-fi!

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

I'm looking to build, actually more accurately "assemble" a HagUSB. I already built myself a cmoy which I like. With this new DAC I assume I'll need to use it with an amp, since it merely provides line out.

Just checked out the HagUSB and it doesn't appear to be a DAC, if that is what you intended. the line out must go to a separate dac and then an amp.

Quote:

I'm looking to build another small amp to put in the same enclosure as the DAC.

why not build a mint, or better yet, wait for the pint.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Seems to me that the HagDac isn't a DAC it's just a USB interface which converts the digital signal from the USB port into a coaxial SPDIF digital interface, so that your DAC would understand it.

If you want a USB DAC there's always Guzzler's USB DAC. As for the amp the few choices that I'd recommend are the MINT, PIMETA, or the upcomming PINT.

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 8
Hmm, I'm a bit confused now, because I know the HagUSB has a line out on it. Therefore wouldn't that be a complete USB DAC? It does provide S/PDIF output, yes, but I would be utilizing the line out for my headphones.

Is this line out going to leave a lot to be desired? I've head about Guzzlers DAC but everything I've heard said they were no longer available and that people were working on alternatives. (like the USB DAC rev. B) Anyone know where i can buy a guzzler PCB and BOM?

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 8
I just got the Hagusb this week and have checked it out with my Lavry DA10.

Yes, it does provide an headphone connector. For volume control with its headphone out you have to use your software volume control. The HagUSB is sized for the 1/8 inch plug. It is also isolated for 75 ohms to be used with the 75 ohm SPDIF coaxial cable out on my Lavry. I just ordered a nice coaxial cable today. I should get it middle of the week.

I presently am using the Transit for my Lavry but it will not provide a 44 kHz signal for me. It only locks in at 96 kHz upsampling. The Hagusb only 48 kHz and below, perfect for what I want. The Transit is very flaky for me.

I plan on using the Hagusb as my normal input to the Lavry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back