DAC/Amp suggestion for Fidelio X1
Jan 27, 2014 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

scntfc

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So I just purchased the Fidelio's (pretty stoked!) but I need some advice on which amp/dac combo to get. Headfonia stated that the ALO Pan Am sounded the best with these cans out of their tests, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much just yet. In fact, I'm not even sure where I can buy the thing!?!

From Headphonia:
 The key, is to find an amp with a smooth top end and a full midrange. This headphone has a good speed and attack by default, so I won’t be needing a solid state. What it needs, however is a little smoother treble and a little boost in the mids body.

This is important to me, as I'd like the amp/dac to fill in on the "weaker" parts of the headphones.

So far I've narrowed it down to these choices:
-ALO Pan Am (last option due to price and findability)
-Matrix M-Stage HPA-2
-Yulong U100
-Aune T1/X1
-O2/ODAC is an option but I've heard it's not the best match for these
-Schiit Magni/Modi/Asgard 2, but also heard it may not be the best match (very similar to O2/ODAC)

Any suggestions? I know there is a huge thread here on DAC/Amp recommendations but the info is so mixed. I'm just going to listen/burn them in with my Creative Titanium HD until I figure out what to get. Also, would the Titanium HD be good enough for the DAC? If so, which amps?

Any advice is appreciated!

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 14
X1 is easy to drive. If you are on a very tight budget, you could go for E10 or E07 k.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 14
Bump.

I'm really not on a very tight budget, but I would love to stay within the $150-$400 range. I don't want a Fiio product, that much is certain. I know these headphones are easy to drive but I want the amp/dac to accent them well.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 14
Why are Fiio products of certain?

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 14
  Why are Fiio products of certain?

Just never been interested, and from what I've read here they don't seem to mix well with the Fidelio's. I just have doubts that they will make them sound much better than my Titanium HD will, but maybe I'm wrong.

There are better options, and I'd like some feedback on the amps/dacs I've listed or give other similar options. From what I've read on the Schiit Vali thread, that amp seems to work pretty well with the Fidelio's so that's another option.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 14
The Fidelio X1 are very efficient headphones, and the TiHd have a decent headphone output. Not satisfied with it? i'd wait till they have more burn in time and decide which amp to buy. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 14
  The Fidelio X1 are very efficient headphones, and the TiHd have a decent headphone output. Not satisfied with it? i'd wait till they have more burn in time and decide which amp to buy. 

I don't have the headphones yet, but I'd like to get ahead of the curve on which amp/dac to get. Still waiting for suggestions...

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 14
I agree with Fabio. I would wait for more burn in, if I were you.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 14
I agree with Fabio. I would wait for more burn in, if I were you.

More burn in? I don't even have the headphones yet, lol. I guess I will never get what I'm asking for in this thread.
confused.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 14
well, you could try to listen x1 paired with Ti HD first. Then decide if you want to buy a dac/amp.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 14
Philips Fidelio has a very good bass

i am also looking for amp/dac to upgrade from my Fiio E17 and found this AMP/DAC called Audioengine D3

according to reviews, it has noticeable better bass than any portable amp/dac

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701027/amazing-audioengine-d3

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/headphones-etc/audioengine-d3-usb-dac-and-headphone-amp-review

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #12 of 14
You are not listening to all the people that's answering you. The X1 does not need an amp. You can get an amp if you like, but it does not matter much because the X1 does not need an amp.

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 14
I own a pair of X1s and love them.

They are not picky to amp.

I pair them either with an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/amp ($100-$150) or Schiit Modi DAC into a JDS labs CMOYBB amp (about $160 for both).

Both sound great. My tastes run slightly warm as a reference point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back