DAC/AMP Recommendation for AKG N40
Dec 3, 2019 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

longinc

New Head-Fier
Hi There,

I just bought a AKG N40 in-ear headphones (https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Earbuds/AKG+N40.html) and am considering getting either the DAC/AMP combo Chord Mojo or Burson Audio Playmate. Does anyone have any experience with both these 2 DAC/AMP combos with sensitive in-ear headphones to give a comparison? Also, I am starting with the N40, but the plan is to move up to one of the nice openback headphones from Audeze/Focal/Sennheiser etc (but don't have a specific model in mind yet, but budget will be in the USD 1.5-2K range) so am hoping this purchase will see me through the next set of headphones. Source is my macbook pro. I am not wedded to the Mojo and Playmate. I am open to other suggestions too. Budget is in the USD400 - USD700 range (can stretch to 1K if improvement is meaningful). Preference is for a DAC/AMP combo vs separates (trying to minimize the number of components, part of the reason why i am downsizing from my 2 channel stereo 100 pound floor speakers)

Listening preferences: I listen mostly to vocals and strings, and so I prefer a sound that is natural and perhaps a touch of warmth. So natural/warm sounding mids and sweet highs are important to me. I like a tight and controlled bass, but big bass is not super important to me. And i don't blast my music.

If this specific DAC/AMP duo have been discussed/compared in another thread, Apologies in advance, and I would appreciate your pointing me in the right direction. (i did a search of this forum but did not find a comparison of these 2)

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back