DAC / Amp / Pre-amp unit for work
Nov 16, 2008 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

martook

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm looking for an amp with dac built in for less than $500. An important feature for me is that it has pre-amp out as well, as I want to connect it to a power amp that feeds a pair of speakers. I'm using a Pico today, but I want a full sized amp instead, for a few reasons.
The one's I've found are the Zero and the Keces DA-152. Don't really know how these compare with the Pico sound wise though. =)

I don't mind having separates as long as they are not too big (don't have that much space, it's for work, which is why I've mostly been looking at one unit), but don't won't to pay more than $500.

So... anyone have any suggestions for me? Or should I go for one of those I've listed? Not a lot of information available for the Keces yet unfortunately
frown.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 6
Well, if you could do a comparison of the sound quality with a Zero and a Pico, I'd really appreciate it!
wink.gif

I guess my main issue with the DA-152 is that there's still a very limited amount of feedback on it. How it sounds with different headphones, how it compares to similar products and so on.
I got the Pico for basically the same amount of money, but I bought that based on quite a few peoples impressions from meets and so on, so I was pretty sure I would get something I would be satisfied with. This costs as much as a Pico, but without any real clues as to how good it is and without knowing what the resale value would be if I'm not satisfied, it's much harder to make a decision. So, to answer your question... I want to know how good it sounds! Please specify!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you are sure that (or at least, want to know if...) your product delivers, you could probably gain a lot from sending a few units for testing to the right people on this board and get them to write a review. Sure would have helped me anyway!

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by garthfluff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pico has a fantastic DAC in my opinion. Have you considered just a standalone Amp? What headphones are you using?

Yeah, it's good, for sure! I wouldn't mind a standalone amp, as long as it isn't too big (needs to fit on a little table under my desk... so can't be so big, especially the height), and it has a good pre-out, controlled by the volume pot. Any suggestions? =)

Headphones... well, I'm using a pair of hd25 right now, but when I'm alone at work I want to be able to use my hd600... and I'm not going to stick with the hd25, I've been looking at denon d2000, might get that instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back