DAC/AMP in a box for ~$500
Oct 21, 2008 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

darknix

New Head-Fier
I want to have a single solution that can let me listen to my CD6002 and PC source without going thought a heck of cable switching.
Then, the DAC/AMP came to my mind again.
I first through I could afford a Apogee Mini-DAC, but after I took a look at my bank account...=_=|||

The story continues here.
biggrin.gif

I would like to have a DAC/AMP in a box so that I can play form my CD6002 and PC without the hassle.
I have done a little research on this and came up:
1) Citypulse DA7.2xII MOD(~$4XX)
2) Citypulse DA2.03eII MOD(~$500)
3) Presonus Central Station (~$4XX)
4) DIYEDEN MD10 MOD (~4XX)

I know I have too much to ask for, but I do want the new device give me some noticeable difference (improvement)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Phones: K240S, MDR-V6(on the way)
smily_headphones1.gif

Main Music type: Jazz, female vocal

Thanks in advance
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 14
there was a Central Station in the FS section a day or two ago, and they are very versatile units

they have a good D/A, and many outputs, plus the remote module so you can just hide the unit under your desk or whatever

as far as connecting the PC to it, it lacks USB, so you'll need either optical/coaxial digital out, or line out, which may mean buying a soundcard, although that isn't really a huge problem (sub $100)

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 14
most of the dac/amps have a pretty weak dac in it let alone a good enough amp. the only one i would ever consider is the aos pace.
aos pace

though i haven't heard the actual unit, i've heard the piccolo dac that's in the combo and a separate ppa together which was pretty decent. not the direction i would go but if space is a concern it'd be great for an office rig or something of the sort... or if you just don't want to spend that much.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
most of the dac/amps have a pretty weak dac in it let alone a good enough amp. the only one i would ever consider is the aos pace.
aos pace

though i haven't heard the actual unit, i've heard the piccolo dac that's in the combo and a separate ppa together which was pretty decent. not the direction i would go but if space is a concern it'd be great for an office rig or something of the sort... or if you just don't want to spend that much.

I remember coming across this aos product before. According to the website, it has not been available for over 3 years. Is there someone else building and selling that design?

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the inputs guys!
wink.gif

I'm most concern in the DAC part of the combo, sound good is a must
k701smile.gif

For connection wise, USB is not necessary since most of the USB connect cannot deliver full 192kHz single which limits a lot.
Work as a pre-amp is certainly a plus.
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #8 of 14
Go with separates DN...more choice with a far better end result for around the same money or a little bit more.

Peete.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLightOn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If portable gear is OK, here are two more to consider. Note: I haven't listened to them, and don't know if they're in the same class as the ones you listed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ray Samuels Audio Predator
The Predator - Ray Samuels Audio

Headamp Pico with USB DAC
HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (Portable Headphone Amplifiers)

No reason to get portable when he wants a desktop rig. Performance difference is huge in the same price range.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedauntlessone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No reason to get portable when he wants a desktop rig. Performance difference is huge in the same price range.

Hmm. Do you thin the presonus and city pulse units are better than a pico, particularly the dac section?

I was in the same boat and went with a pico and although i use it desktop, the portability is nice on occasion.

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedauntlessone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is the second time I've read this advice since I posted the two links to portable gear above. I'm building a bedside system and will stop looking at portable gear (except possibly for the phones). Thanks for helping me (and of course the OP) with our choices.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 14
Actually, I don't mind getting a portable (I was going for the Mini-DAC), but I do want more connection options on the machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back