Dac/Amp hd 800
Oct 3, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 17
What do you think about the 800 treble? It never bothered me and I ran it out of a damn Jotunheim. I'd be sure to know beforehand whether the treble bothers you or not. If it does, I'd suggest looking into some tube amps

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 17
What do you think about the 800 treble? It never bothered me and I ran it out of a damn Jotunheim. I'd be sure to know beforehand whether the treble bothers you or not. If it does, I'd suggest looking into some tube amps
Without wishing to divert the topic from the topic but it makes me doubt, do you think that an amplifier like Project Polaris with a signature that is hotter than neutral would be a good pairing with colored headphones or with more bass testing ?

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 17
Schiit Bifrost 4490 for the DAC
Bottlehead Crack with Speedball for amp

The amp in particular brings out the bass of the HD800. It surprises people how much bass you can get from the stock 800.

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 17
thanks alot. but do i really need a dac for hd 800? the sound shold already be the best? i shold just use it all on a amp?
The way I see it, if you're going to buy such a nice pair of headphones, you definitely need legit gear to go with it. Get at least a Modi 2. It's only 100 bucks. You don't want to amplify a low quality analog signal from a cheap source. It's like taking a low resolution picture and zooming in, it'll look even worse.

Have you heard of the term "weakest link in the chain"? That applies to audio too. The reason people don't spend their budget on only headphones is because they won't sound as good as they should unless there is a good DAC, good amp, and good source music files. If somebody bought, let's use this example, the HD800 and didn't use a DAC and only played mp3 files, then it would be a waste of money because there are major weak links in the chain. It's like buying a sports car but putting cheap tires on it and filling it with low quality engine oil...it won't perform anywhere near it's potential and would be a waste.

Depending on your source, the amp is probably more important. But a DAC and lossless music is what's going to help make your investment worth it. Again, I'd start small and get a Modi 2. It's a great value and looks nice

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #10 of 17
I've heard neither in person but if I remember correctly, those should work plenty well with the 800 :)

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 17
my friend has audio gd stuff, he has the entry level $500 dac and amp seperates, I think he paid around 1000 buck for it like 4 years ago. his hd600 and hd800 sound awesome on it.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #14 of 17
Magni 3 plus MMB.

Oct 4, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 17
The Lyr 2 is terrible with the HD800, the Vali 2 has better synergy.

As far as solid state amp on a budget, the Magni 3 is exceptional sounding, dead quite and is a steal at 99 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back