DAC/Amp for use with a Macbook Pro and also portable players
May 30, 2010 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I'm currently waiting for a pair of AKG K702s to arrive, but in the meantime I want to get going on finding a good combo dac/amp for my sources.  I'd like to spend under 200, and get something that can drive the 702s and other mid-range cans (like the Beyer DT880s, for example). My question is, how do I use something like an ipod touch or portable cd player with the DAC/amp combos, because most just have USB and RCA inputs in the back. Do I just use a 3.5 output from the player to RCA input to the dac/amp?  I should add, I have Audioengine 5 speakers, and I'd like whatever I buy to help out with those, as well.

Right now, I have the following units in consideration. Any opinion and help is most welcome!

AUNE HIFIDIY.NET Mini USB DAC + Headphone Amp MK2- about $160

[size=1.7em] NuForce uDAC- $100[/size]

Audinst MX1- $180

May 31, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 6
For something like that, you're looking for a unit that has inputs from USB and a stereo line in.  Something like the iBasso D2+ or D10.

For your speakers, if they need RCA inputs, you can just get a 1/4" to RCA adapter.

May 31, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
For something like that, you're looking for a unit that has inputs from USB and a stereo line in.  Something like the iBasso D2+ or D10.

For your speakers, if they need RCA inputs, you can just get a 1/4" to RCA adapter.

So would the iBasso sound worse, equal, or better than those I listed?  Why would I choose any of those over either of those iBasso's? Also, my speakers just take a 3.5 in, so that's easy enough with the iBasso, otherwise I'd have to go RCA out to 3.5. 

May 31, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

So would the iBasso sound worse, equal, or better than those I listed?  Why would I choose any of those over either of those iBasso's? Also, my speakers just take a 3.5 in, so that's easy enough with the iBasso, otherwise I'd have to go RCA out to 3.5. 

Probably around equal to the uDAC.  The only reason you'd chose the iBasso over one of the others is because it's usable as a portable amp (for a DAP or portable CD player, or the like), and a DAC.  It's also battery powered, so if you happen to have any USB power issues, those may be eliminated.  (You charge it over USB aswell, and can charge while playing)

The iBasso D10 is a bigger badder version of the D2+, that also includes other digital inputs.

May 31, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Probably around equal to the uDAC.  The only reason you'd chose the iBasso over one of the others is because it's usable as a portable amp (for a DAP or portable CD player, or the like), and a DAC.  It's also battery powered, so if you happen to have any USB power issues, those may be eliminated.  (You charge it over USB aswell, and can charge while playing)

The iBasso D10 is a bigger badder version of the D2+, that also includes other digital inputs.

Hm, sounds like the uDAC would be just fine then, although I couldn't plug my portable players into it. In which case, I'd just use it at home with my MBP. Would it be enough to power phones like the 702s or DT880s though, given that it is only USB powered?

May 31, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Hm, sounds like the uDAC would be just fine then, although I couldn't plug my portable players into it. In which case, I'd just use it at home with my MBP. Would it be enough to power phones like the 702s or DT880s though, given that it is only USB powered?

Do a quick search for 'uDAC with DT880' and you should get an answer.  I can't comment on it directly, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back