DAC/AMP for PS4 with chat
May 28, 2019 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

debugman

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Which budget-wise DAC/AMP (or just DAC) is the most recommended that supports dolby and chat?

From my reading in the @Mad Lust Envy guide, I understand that the Mixamp, Tritton and Turtle Beach DSS/DSS2 are my options.

Is there a better option?

If mixamp is the answer, which version? I understand that some versions are not so good.

May 28, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 7
Creative G6 supports Dolby (turns it into SBX)

Creative X7 if you want the best out there atm. I believe you'll need an accessory for PS4 chat with it though.

I don't use chat, so I'm not 100% on them.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi,

Which budget-wise DAC/AMP (or just DAC) is the most recommended that supports dolby and chat?

From my reading in the @Mad Lust Envy guide, I understand that the Mixamp, Tritton and Turtle Beach DSS/DSS2 are my options.
Is there a better option?
If mixamp is the answer, which version? I understand that some versions are not so good.
For best audio quality (and most powerful head amp), Sound BlasterX G6.
For lowest cost, Turtle Beach DSS/DSS2.
Astro Mix-amp is somewhere in the middle.
Maybe also get the Modmic?

May 29, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 7
Creative G6 supports Dolby (turns it into SBX)

Creative X7 if you want the best out there atm. I believe you'll need an accessory for PS4 chat with it though.

I don't use chat, so I'm not 100% on them.

The G6 and X7 are way too expensive for my taste. I want to chat, but without connecting a cable to the controller.

For best audio quality (and most powerful head amp), Sound BlasterX G6.
For lowest cost, Turtle Beach DSS/DSS2.
Astro Mix-amp is somewhere in the middle.
Maybe also get the Modmic?

If the mixamp is better than the DSS, which version?

May 29, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 7
The G6 and X7 are way too expensive for my taste. I want to chat, but without connecting a cable to the controller.
If the mix-amp is better than the DSS, which version?
I do not know enough about every version of the Astro Mix-amp, to say which is the best.
I will admit, that I bought my 2 nephews a 2018 mix-amp and 2019 mix-amp (both come with headphones), just in the past few months and I'm assuming they are good versions of the mix-amp.
I would suggest just buying an older used mix-amp, off eBay ($40-$60).

May 29, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 7
I have the MixAmp Pro 2013 since,well,2013 and its still kicking for me. It has its issues though. Sometimes the sound breaks up and I have to slightly adjust the volume and it sounds good again. Im guessing its dusty inside and causing the issues,but again easily fixed.

The one thing I would like though,is more power. It cannot drive my AKG K701s to satisfactory volume levels. For my Fidelio X1s it gets louder than I can handle. So I would recommend easy to drive headphones.

You will need a y-splitter cable to use a ModMic. Also worth noting if youre planning on using an open back headphone in this setup w/ a Modmic you might get a feedback loop,resulting in an echo for others in the chat to hear. I fixed that by using a small bit of double sided tape and covering up one side of the mic opening.

May 30, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 7
You shouldn't get any feedback loop on the ModMic in most scenarios, even in omni mode. If you do it's probably a strange mix of the mic is too hot, the headphones too loud, or the mic is positioned oddly. Anyway, easier fixes than tape out there for this. Moving the mic slightly, lowering the gain a little, etc. Of course in uni-directional mode tape won't do anything because there's no port to cover back there. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back