DAC / Amp for Meze Empyrean
May 2, 2021 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

m0d33d

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

so I have Empys coming next week and thinking if my actual setup will pairs well.
As a DAC I currently have RME ADI 2 FS hooked to SMSL SP200 and Topping A90.

Based on posts here in various threads I bought Bryston BHA-1 (used for a really nice price).

As my knowledge goes Bryston is super clean, maybe slightly warm, Empys are warm, so clean source as RME might be good combination?
Or maybe not so much.

Also considering to get some R2R DAC like Musician Pegasus to try out.

May 2, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi there,

so I have Empys coming next week and thinking if my actual setup will pairs well.
As a DAC I currently have RME ADI 2 FS hooked to SMSL SP200 and Topping A90.

Based on posts here in various threads I bought Bryston BHA-1 (used for a really nice price).

As my knowledge goes Bryston is super clean, maybe slightly warm, Empys are warm, so clean source as RME might be good combination?
Or maybe not so much.

Also considering to get some R2R DAC like Musician Pegasus to try out.
The Bryston is very neutral and not warm.
Therefore it already is a contrast to the Empyreans warmer Sound.

Together with an R2R DAC it should sound glorious and balanced

May 2, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for clarification, it's little dissapointing as I really like EQ part of RME and not using some SW on a PC / MAC.

Thought I could somehow use it in a chain...
Well if you actually use EQ and already have the RME, just try it.
Certainly sounds great already.

Bryston and RME are more on the neutral and lean side while the Empyrean gives some warmth and body.

After listening you can still decide if you'd prefer something warmer, like a tube amp for instance.

If you wouldn't already have the RME, I'd have recommended the Schiit Loki, which made a much better job than Software EQ

May 2, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 7
I say, try out your Empyreans for a few weeks on your system If you like it or not. And come back here if there is something you like to improve.

Its difficult to speculate when you haven't actually tried it yet.

If you like an "organic" feel, you could also add a tube buffer / preamp between your dac and amp.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 7
what was four final decision actually?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back