DAC/AMP for Ipod Classic and ER4P
Oct 6, 2013 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

detectiveki

New Head-Fier
Hi all, 

I am using Ipod Classic and ER4P now, and i would like to buy a DAC/Amp. 
I have read certain posts that recommend the combination of XM6 and ER4P.
As I am living in Hong Kong, there's no XM6 dealer in the city. It seems a bit risky for me to buy a DAC/Amp without trying.
I would like to ask for more comments from you and also any other recommendations for my existing devices.

thanks.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 16
ER4p is hard to drive, I think you need a dac more than an amp because you are using iPod classic. I think you need to look for solo -db or the 720. If you really need an amp, I think the best one to go with is RSA intruder.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 16
  ER4p is hard to drive, I think you need a dac more than an amp because you are using iPod classic. I think you need to look for solo -db or the 720. If you really need an amp, I think the best one to go with is RSA intruder.

thanks for your advice. i think RSA intruder is good too, but it is too expensive for me.
my budget is below 400USD=(

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 16
If u want dac with amp, I highly recommend Sony PHA-1 or PHA-2 or the ADL X1

The X1 should be very good as it uses the godly ESS Sabre 9023 dac chip, and it can do up to 24/192 when plugged into ur Mac/pc

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 16
I also live in HK, there are quite a few places where you can try different pairings.
I am not sure why you didn't go for the PT model - which I have and use all the times, despite trying/owning other iems.
You wouldn't then need an amp to drive your iems, but to "open" the music. 

As always it's more a matter of the what you are listening to.
With a budget below USD400, you may feel limited in your choice, particularly once you do get to try different combinations - the Theorem comes to mind.
You may want to try the JDSLabs C5D (with the DAC).
Good luck!

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 16
  I also live in HK, there are quite a few places where you can try different pairings.
I am not sure why you didn't go for the PT model - which I have and use all the times, despite trying/owning other iems.
You wouldn't then need an amp to drive your iems, but to "open" the music. 

As always it's more a matter of the what you are listening to.
With a budget below USD400, you may feel limited in your choice, particularly once you do get to try different combinations - the Theorem comes to mind.
You may want to try the JDSLabs C5D (with the DAC).
Good luck!

+1. HK is a mad place for stuff like that. Most of the sales assistants bend backward for the customer. I went to one shop, and , from what I saw, everything they sold was available for demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back