dac/amp for D2000?
Jan 3, 2010 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

adam_eu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, what would be best dac/amp combo for D2000 in <300$ price range?
I want something handy, not too large (e.g. compass is too big) which could be easly moved to another place at home with my laptop. It can be portable (ibasso) but it must have enough power.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 9
Any amp has "enough power" to drive D2000s, you could probably run them straight out of your laptop.

What I'd worry about more is matching sound characteristics.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 9
I heard that they're fine out of ipod but they sound better with home amps. I had them with Heed Canamp for few days and there was big difference for me.

Sound characteristics? Hmm i want something with good mids, because it's not the strongest point of D2K.

Perfect for me would be D10 but it has only 100mW. D4 has similar specs i suppose.
Maybe DAC_II... dunno. Help guys, any suggestions?

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by adam_eu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, what would be best dac/amp combo for D2000 in <300$ price range?
I want something handy, not too large (e.g. compass is too big) which could be easly moved to another place at home with my laptop. It can be portable (ibasso) but it must have enough power.

I drive mine with iBasso D2 while at work and its perfect. I also have a Cute Beyond and Fubar II DAC for my home desktop - perfect as well.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 9
I would say even something like NuForce uDac would be a good match for it. From what I've been reading it's supposed to have slight colouration/upfrontness to the mids, which is something D2000 would greatly benefit from... and above all, it's got an excellent DAC which you would be able to still use even if you decide to upgrade your amp in the future. uDAC internal amp isn't that strong IIRC but for something like D2000 it should be more than fine. And since you will be pairing this with your laptop it's great in terms of portability, and finally you can't go wrong with the price at all for $99!

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 9
My D5000 sounds very nice directly out of the uDAC. Quite acceptable. That being said the Denons sound noticably better amped with a Millet MiniMAX fed with uDACs RCA line out. The improvement is fairly significant. IMO though a uDAC/D2000 pairing would be a very nice budget-conscious rig.

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say even something like NuForce uDac would be a good match for it. From what I've been reading it's supposed to have slight colouration/upfrontness to the mids, which is something D2000 would greatly benefit from... and above all, it's got an excellent DAC which you would be able to still use even if you decide to upgrade your amp in the future. uDAC internal amp isn't that strong IIRC but for something like D2000 it should be more than fine. And since you will be pairing this with your laptop it's great in terms of portability, and finally you can't go wrong with the price at all for $99!

I might be in the minority here, but I didn't care for the uDac + D2000 match up. I felt it neutered the best characteristics of the D2000 ... unless you pair it with a better amp and only use the DAC portion of the uDac.

that's my $0.02

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 9
I use the ibasso D4 for my D5000. The emphasis on mids/highs seems to be well suited to the more bassy D5000. Don't know about D2000, though I'm sure it's similar.

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the ibasso D4 for my D5000. The emphasis on mids/highs seems to be well suited to the more bassy D5000. Don't know about D2000, though I'm sure it's similar.

Good to hear it. I'm thinking of getting D4 but I'll read some more reviews.
If anyone have some more suggestions, please write them down here.
Btw, thanks for answers for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back