DAC/Amp for Beyerdynamic T1
Feb 20, 2014 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PTom

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get an amp/DAC for a pair of T1s I recently bought. I don't want to be spending extremely large amounts of money. I'm looking into the following (I've included the prices I can get them for in the UK):

Amps:

- O2 Epiphany Acoustcs (£77)
- FiiO E9 (£100)
- Matrix M Stage (approx. £150)
- Lovely cube [black cube linear clone] (£180)
- Fostex HP A3 [DAC/amp] (can get it second hand for £150)
- Little Dot MK2 (£200)
- Darkvoice 336SE (£180)

DAC:

- EDAC Epiphany Acoustics [i.e. ODAC] (£90)
- Schiit Modi (£100)
- Musicstreamer II (£150)

Any recommendations? Anything else I should be looking at? I want something within the range of prices shown about so total cost below £350.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 9
The amp stage on the M Stage is a great match for the T1's if you upgrade the opamp (you must choose wisely and it can make a significant difference). I have some much more expensive amps and the M Stage holds it's own against them all with the T1's. It was born for high impedance headphones. Does great with the HD800 also. I cannot speak for their dac stage but from a recent review on this forum the new version is far better than the old dac which was reported to be not very good. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 9
Get NAD D1050 this will also give you an option to add any amp in future..

Thanks for the reply umarot. I'll have to do some research on this one. I've only seen a few reviews so far (most notably whathifi gave it 5*). It is a bit over my budget but if it's worth the price I'd be tempted.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 9
  The amp stage on the M Stage is a great match for the T1's if you upgrade the opamp (you must choose wisely and it can make a significant difference). I have some much more expensive amps and the M Stage holds it's own against them all with the T1's. It was born for high impedance headphones. Does great with the HD800 also. I cannot speak for their dac stage but from a recent review on this forum the new version is far better than the old dac which was reported to be not very good. 

Thanks for the reply Chodi, I am seriously looking at the matrix m stage. I just saw this video of someone changing the op amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU5cuLL9OnQ

It looks pretty straight forward (i.e. no soldering etc.). Which op amp do you recommend?

Also do you know any reasonably priced DACs that go well with the T1 (i.e. ODAC, modi. musicstreamer II etc..).

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #7 of 9
Well best of luck, by the way I have D1050 so if you have any questions please feel free, there is not much info on internet even I don't know why NAD people are not so helpful, I added woo wa3 for my HD650 having said that I think amp in 1050 is more then decent. Please feel free if you have questions.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 9
  Thanks for the reply Chodi, I am seriously looking at the matrix m stage. I just saw this video of someone changing the op amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU5cuLL9OnQ

It looks pretty straight forward (i.e. no soldering etc.). Which op amp do you recommend?

Also do you know any reasonably priced DACs that go well with the T1 (i.e. ODAC, modi. musicstreamer II etc..).

This link is to the opamp upgrade I use with the M Stage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LME49710HA-X2-Adaptor-/180872434827?

I have tried other opamps on dual packages but the one in that link was the only one that made a significant difference for me. Sorry on the low price dac I cannot really comment. Just remember the quality of your source is where it all starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back