DAC/Amp for Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd generation)
May 25, 2020 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Suncrysis

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I was looking for some help choosing a dac/amp upgrade for my Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd generation). At the moment I use them with a Schiit Magni Heresy combined with a Modi 3 DAC. I must say that the sound is very good. Above all, I amazed by the price/quality ratio. I personally liked the T1 with this combination more than with other setups much more expensive I tried in some shops / exhibitions.
Obviously this doesn't mean I can't look for a further upgrade. But, given the excellent experience, I would like to stay with Schiit.
My budget is about 800€ (870$).
I listen mainly to classical music and opera.

At the moment my choice is between two models:

1- Schiit Valhalla 2. OTL tube amplifier with 4 tubes. I heard here and elsewhere that tube OTLs are the best with T1.

2- Schiit Lyr 3. Single-tube amp. It's more expensive, but I can also add a Multibit DAC (against the AK4490 of Modi 3). However, as far as I can see, it is not an OTL. On the other hand, it would have the advantage of being an upgrade for both the DAC and the amp. I also read many positive comments about the combination between Lyr 3 and T1.

I heard a lot of people saying that you must combine the T1 with a tube amp (possibly OTL), to make them really shine. My doubt was whether it was better to invest in an OTL like Valhalla and leave Modi 3 as a DAC, or go to a non-OTL tube amp like the Lyr 3 which, however, also allowed me to improve the DAC sector with a multibit.

If we were talking about solid state amps I would have much less doubts. In that case I have the opportunity to take a Beyerdynamic A2 from a friend at a good price.
However, advice on solid state amps is welcome, of course! :wink:

What I know for sure (I tested it with my ears) is that once you reach a certain level of setup, you will not get improvements proportional to the expense. It is also true, however, that something more can be done for headphones of this range.

Have you got any suggestion? I am writing about Valhalla and Lyr, but I am also open to other possibilities (and other brands).

Thank you very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back