DAC/AMP for Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Oct 21, 2016 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Far51

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased Beyerdynamic T1, and I am wondering if there is a combination of DAC and AMP that would effectively drive my headphones. I have already tested Schiit Modi 2 and Asgard 2, and the listening experience was underwhelming. I tried internal sound cards, such as Sound Blaster ZXR and Asus Xonar, and they showed satisfactory performance. Any recommendations folks?

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 13
What do you think about Schiit Bifrost + lyr2 setup instead of Bifrost and Valhalla 2. Since T1 generally lacks bass, I am wondering if replacing tubes on amp will improve bass. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

What do you think about Schiit Bifrost + lyr2 setup instead of Bifrost and Valhalla 2.

Valhalla2 conks out 450mW at 600ohms, the Lyr2 conks out 330mW. The T1's high sensitivity should get you waaaaay more volume on the Valhalla2, but how much of it is usable over what the Lyr can get is probably going to just put them on the same level barring differences in gain.

Best way to decide is what other headphones you plan on getting later on. If you just plan on getting an RS1 for casual listening then Valhalla2 would work fine. If you'll get AKG or planars, the Lu

Quote:

Since T1 generally lacks bass, I am wondering if replacing tubes on amp will improve bass.

The task of an amplifier is to amplify the input signal, making it powerful enough to drive a transducer at the other end. It is not an amplifier's job to EQ the sound, or at least not by that much. If some amps seem to have more bass, chances are compared to an amp with less, the "bassier" amp might have less distortion, so you're hearing more of the bass notes as a hard and more audible THUD! than indistinct thwoooms. The Valhalla2 just rounds out the treble notes a little bit - still forward if it is but the ear scratching splash isn't as grating.

Past all that it really depends on the headphone. You might want to reconsider your upgrade path and just replace the T1 instead of the amplifier, and get one with less treble so you can hear more of the bass.Maybe the AKG K712 and then try the Lyr with it.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 13
What do you think about Schiit Bifrost + lyr2 setup instead of Bifrost and Valhalla 2. Since T1 generally lacks bass, I am wondering if replacing tubes on amp will improve bass. Thanks.

One of the main dudes at Woo Audio is a member here(forget his forum name).I used to own a T1.1 and a WA2 and I asked him if tube rolling would improve the bass...his answer was essentially "no".

He went onto say the money spent on tubes wouldnt give me the night and day difference in bass that I was looking for,instead he suggested different headphones.

That being said the WA2+T1 combo was really nice,just bass light.Amazing soundstage and imaging.....just cant turn T1s into something theyre not

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 13
The Asgard 2 has more than enough power to run the T 1's. I agree with monsterzero a amp isn't going to change a headphone from what they are not. If you want more bass get different headphones. I've listened to most of the TOTL headphones and most are not bass heavy. YMMV but that is my take.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Same,Same,but different...If youre looking for more bass,then HD800 isnt the answer.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 13
I see, are HD800 open-back better than T1 based on audiophile standards? I will either sell T1 to buy HD800 or keep T1. 

To drive T1, I am leaning toward Schiit Bifrost and Valhalla 2 DAC/AMP combo. I hope spending $750 is going to enhance my listening experience.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Thats subjective.Plenty of reviews here and on youtube...some like one,some the other.however I thought your goal was to achieve more bass....HD800 is many things,bassy isnt one of them.

If youre looking for bassy headphones at that price point I might suggest a used HE-500 or LCD-2,though I like HE-500 better.

Neither are bass cannons but both def have more "meat and body" to them than either the T1 or HD800

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 13
Well, don't...

T1 has more bass than HD800 and best chances are you won't find a quality headphone ampifier that tweak the T1's sound as much as you want.
Quality headphone amplifiers are designed to provide a neutral response in order to make the headphone sound as it was intended to sound.
You've already heard your T1 as it was intended to sound, so getting a different headphone is probably your best bet at this point.

You should consider the Focal Elear.

There's no such a thing as a better headphone according to audiophile standards when comparing headphones at this point.
Try to find the one that fit your preferences the best.

T1 2gen has a slight boost in the bass region and you still find it bass light, so you should look for those headphones with a markedly warm/bassy tilt.

Focal Elear
Audeze LCD-2/3
AudioQuest Nighthawk
HD-650
Pioneer SE-Master 1
Sony Z7
Sony Z1R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back