Dac/Amp combo good ?
Oct 9, 2009 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
Ok this might sound a little weird, but I don't have that much money and I'm planning on buying a whole set of new stuff.... I've allready ordered Grado SR325is headphones, but in about a month I have money for one more thing in my "set" (HP, Dac, Amp). I want to buy a Dac as my second buy, cuz I think that will make most difference (it will take some time for me to get money for third buy...). The problem is that you can't buy a Dac and get any sound if you don't have an amp also...

So my question is: Are there any good Dac's with intergrated amp ?? I'm going to buy Woo Audio 6 later on, so the intergrated amp don't have to that good, but the Dac should be as good as one you buy seperatly.... My budget reaches up to 600$... If the combo of Dac/Amp degrees the SQ, I won't buy one...... I've seen some different examples, but I don't know if they are any good... For example "Grant Fidelity Tube Dac".

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 5
You have many options in that price range... the Audio-GD Compass presents a phenomenal value at $300 range. Above that there is a Head-Amp Pico at $400-$450 used which my friend claims that is in the same league with the Compass sound-wise with a wetter midrange but less authority and obviously a lot more compact. Looking even lower, you can take a look at Head-Direct's EF2 at $189. I personally haven't heard this but I did hear the EF1 and it's a very cost-effective way to get into the sound of tubes.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 5
The main purpose of a dac/amp is to save money. Obviously with separates you have more options. That being said, the Compass is currently on sale and it does a hell of a lot for $330USD. If I had to do it all over, I probably would have gone compass before going balanced.

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 5
I wrote totally wrong on the budget.....
tongue.gif
My budget is at most 600$, I want to have a good Dac so it should cost atleast 500$.....

Are there and Dac/Amp combo where the Dac is the main thing and the Amp is just a bonus?...
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back