D66 eggos rule
Jul 25, 2002 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mystyler

500+ Head-Fier
I've just got my D66s, and my music has never sounded so good. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. They even sounded good straight out of the box.
Since upgrading to some decent cans, my music seems to have taken a "step back" away from my head and then around me. Things don't sound so mushed together either, vocals and music are clearly discernable.
Short-cord is wonderful and they are so comfy and light!
I'm one happy chappy!

biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2002 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 14
Sounds like another happy Eggo enthusiast.

If not for this forum and the MiniDisc T-Board, I would have never heard of the Eggo series cans from Sony. I have the D22SL's, and can't get over how wonderful their sound is. I suspect the D66's have similar rendition with a bit more output.

Did you hear that Sony may discontinue these cans?

Jul 25, 2002 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 14
Yes, I have heard that Sony may discontinue them, SBG. I can't imagine why, they are so good for portables!
If they do discontinue, I might have to pick up another pair of eggos, some D22s will do fine. Trouble is, money is a problem...

Typical Sony, I guess.

Jul 25, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 14
Well, I can live with the fact these Eggos will be shelved if Sony brings out a new line of them. How could they improve upon these headphones, anyway?

Maybe I should get a set of D66's. I have to *recover* from my ER-4P purchase, first........
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 14
I would be quite happy if Sony discontinued the current eggo line for new ones, but if they were totally discontinued, well that would be bad. The only things I can think of that could be made better is the microphonics - you hear everything, and something so your ears don't get so hot after extended listening.

I know how you feel, regarding your expensive purchse!
Mind you, these are great...
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
do they isolate very well?

no, not really. they are semi-closed. behind the silver buttons are some holes covered with paper filters, and inside the earcups are more holes with paper filters over them.

for those who find them sibilant, try burning them in. it made a noticeable difference with mine.

Jul 27, 2002 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 14
a1leyez0nm3, they isolate maybe a tad more than standard buds. Some sounds are muffled, but you can still hear most of what's going out around you. I suppose you could tape the holes, but I don't know what that would do to the sound. They aren't bad at keeping sound in though it does still get out.

BTW, can you get replacement pads for these?

Jul 27, 2002 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
could you tape the holes?

i tried that mod already.

i took some metal foil tape and cut out oval shapes that would fit inside the earcups over the holes. i also added sound dampening foam over that. the end result? no difference in isolation, or sound. the d66 is not a tightly fitted phone like the v6, so i think outside sound gets in through the cracks so to speak. since i'm already happy with the d66 sound (one of the few phones i can say that about, being the mod-happy guy i am) it is not such a big deal.

Jul 28, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 14
im pretty happy with my setup as well at the moment, except that I wish that my koss isolated. I just want the er6 or er4. something portable that isolates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back