D66/Dxx Eggo appreciation thread
Jul 13, 2005 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gshan

Headphoneus Supremus
My head-fi journey thus far has included the likes of the above mentioned headphones, SR60s, DT250-80s, and now HD590s. The eggos were my first $100 range cans and I was fairly pleased with them, except I found the bass to be a little thin. Next was the Grados, and can I say details? Upfront sound was satisfying like the Sonys, but it became sonically fatiguing. Now came the 80ohm Beyers, and big mistake for me. The highs were rolled off, and overall sound was too laid back for me. I've now got the 590s burning in at the moment- and while the bass is fun, the midrange is still a little too recessed to my liking (it left me wondering if the HD580/6xx signature would be even less fitting for me -last stop, hd5x5?). EQ is easy, but not something I'll always want to play around with.

I was enjoying a little hiphop/funk last night with the burning Senns and switched over to my recently neglected Sonys, unamped. Big surprise! The soundstage and airyness was much better than I had remembered from months ago, and the bass was not thin at all. It was punchy and had a little boom too. I quickly tested with less bassy music, and was also not disappointed. No EQ needed. These probably aren't even fully burned in yet, but I have a new appreciation for them.

I know there are some serious Eggo fans on head-fi, and some others like me that have just been fortunate to try at least one model. If you love 'em too, tell us why!

Jul 14, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
My head-fi journey thus far has included the likes of the above mentioned headphones, SR60s, DT250-80s, and now HD590s. The eggos were my first $100 range cans and I was fairly pleased with them, except I found the bass to be a little thin. Next was the Grados, and can I say details? Upfront sound was satisfying like the Sonys, but it became sonically fatiguing. Now came the 80ohm Beyers, and big mistake for me. The highs were rolled off, and overall sound was too laid back for me. I've now got the 590s burning in at the moment- and while the bass is fun, the midrange is still a little too recessed to my liking (it left me wondering if the HD580/6xx signature would be even less fitting for me -last stop, hd5x5?). EQ is easy, but not something I'll always want to play around with.

I was enjoying a little hiphop/funk last night with the burning Senns and switched over to my recently neglected Sonys, unamped. Big surprise! The soundstage and airyness was much better than I had remembered from months ago, and the bass was not thin at all. It was punchy and had a little boom too. I quickly tested with less bassy music, and was also not disappointed. No EQ needed. These probably aren't even fully burned in yet, but I have a new appreciation for them.

I know there are some serious Eggo fans on head-fi, and some others like me that have just been fortunate to try at least one model. If you love 'em too, tell us why!

You should hear some D-77's!

Jul 14, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 18
i love my D77's. could they be the most perfect over the head portable headphones ever?
eggosmile.gif
too bad i don't use them more often outdoors... that job is reserved for my D66's.

Jul 16, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 18
I came here mid 2004 in search of a replacement for my D77s that i got in the mid 90s. The detachable cable on the D77s can go bad easy. After trying MANY headphones spending hundreds of dollars i wound up selling them all and buying more eggos. I traded the DT770 for another set of D77s and rebuilt both pair using the D66 band and hard wired cable. I then rebuilt the D66 with D22 cables. I have 2 sets of D77, 3 sets of D66 a set of D55 and 4 sets of D22.

Ill admit the eggos look really weird on your head but in my opinion the are the most comfortable cans ive used and the best all around sound of all the headphones ive tried. This is all ive used since the mid 90s and i think my ear got trained to the D77 sound. They have a midrange i just couldnt compair anything else with.

Im glad i came here and found more eggos, i stocked up so ill never be without another pair again!
eggosmile.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 18
Eggo d66 is the one who start my headphone journey and still is my favourite for portable use. IMO Eggo is good looking headphone and very comfortable too.

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 18
To my ears, the D66 Eggo is a very smooth, balanced, easy to drive, comfortable, portable, and good looking headphone.......all for under $100. IMHO, the Eggo and the Grado SR-60 are two of the best, if not, the best buys in headphones.
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 18
Several (more expensive and popular) headphones later, I still can't seem to part with my Eggo. I like the comfort and I think the sound isn't too bad either. It's not the most refined can available, but there's enough there to keep me putting it on my head. It was my first pair of headphones after coming here, and I still love them.

Jul 17, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 18
the eggos were one of the first cans that i got after coming to the slippery slope called head-fi. they served me well from the very beginning and i ended up selling them to fund some other cans but in the end, i just had to get another pair since i missed them so much.

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 18
If memory serves me correctly, when i was about 15 I was walking around in chinatown, nyc looking for some random crap, I walked into an electronics store and wound up walking out with an eggo d66. it was an impulse buy, only reason i bought it was because it looked cool. I dont even think i tried them on at the spot... silly kids. Well saints be praised because these things are totally awesome.

Im listening to Spoon on the d66s right now. No other headphone IMO gets so many things right. Its kind of closed, and it doesnt totally isolate so you can hear whats going on around you at low volumes. I look like this guy
580smile.gif
almost 8 hours a day in school. but the best thing is that it doesnt leak much sound... so i can take these bad boys in the library and listen at pretty high volumes without pissing people off.... Super!!

Oh yeah, they sound pretty decent too.

p.s. Im 25 now btw.

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #15 of 18
Hmm, from someone who's got most of the competition, but never felt the need to get a D66 or hunt down a D77 (I've been tempted on the latter), gotta give the kudos for the eggos. I've tried both on occasion and they certainly are a great form factor/performance level. Eggos (D66) were the cans I got for my (now ex-) girlfriend when she wanted a good portable for her iPod. D77 is definitely something special, and if you have the chance to get one, don't let it pass.

Best,

-JAson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back