D5000 vs Mr. Speaker Mad Dog
Feb 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Noahjaws

Head-Fier
Hey everyone, sorry for another vs. thread.

I've been interested from upgrading from my xb700s, and am interested in the both the mad dogs and D5000.

I would love to know how these fare up against the 700s and each other in terms of comfort, soundstage, quality, isolation, ect ect.

Thanks

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 10
Heya,

Compared to XB700:

The D5000 will offer way better fidelity. Overall better mids and treble, much improved sound stage, same or less isolation. Same, if not slightly better bass response. Overall much higher quality, refinement. Super comfortable.

The Mad Dog (with Alpha Pads) will offer even better fidelity, better isolation, flat response with incredible mids, slightly brighter, with better low end control and extension but not obviously `bassy' as it's more flat like LCD2 style bass.

Very best,

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Heya,

Compared to XB700:

The D5000 will offer way better fidelity. Overall better mids and treble, much improved sound stage, same or less isolation. Same, if not slightly better bass response. Overall much higher quality, refinement. Super comfortable.

The Mad Dog (with Alpha Pads) will offer even better fidelity, better isolation, flat response with incredible mids, slightly brighter, with better low end control and extension but not obviously `bassy' as it's more flat like LCD2 style bass.

Very best,

I've Read in other threads that the D5000 beats the mad dogs in almost every category.  I've heard the Mad Dogs are better from you before.  I have heard different reviews being positive and negative on the Mad Dogs, and unable to make up my mind.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 10
I would rate them as following:
D5000 (modded, angle pads) > Mad Dogs (alpha pads) > Mad Dogs (dog pads) > D5000 (unmodded)

I personally would never consider keeping unmodded D5000, the bloated bass just awful, I was squinting every time the bass was hitting, extremely fatiguing like listening to artillery cannonade.
blink.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
D5000 (modded, angle pads) > Mad Dogs (alpha pads) > Mad Dogs (dog pads) > D5000 (unmodded)

I personally would never consider keeping unmodded D5000, the bloated bass just awful, I was squinting every time the bass was hitting, extremely fatiguing like listening to artillery cannonade.
blink.gif

Would you say there are any better closed headphones than the mad dogs for the price? ~$300

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

blink.gif

Exactly what i thought. 
wink.gif

IMO, the MD are hard to beat on their price range. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Would you say there are any better closed headphones than the mad dogs for the price? ~$300

I liked MDR-1R better than MD with Dog Pads, more air, details in the mids and sparkle at the top. With Alpha pads I inclined to say that MD do better but absolute difference is not that great and if you are concerned with style and driving them unamped I would wholeheartedly recommend MDR-1R. Dogs need a lot of juice to sound as good as Sony unamped, straight out of DAP even that the volume is listenable they sound very flat and bland, like something played in another room, no dynamics at all.

In case anyone wondered I did prefer MDR-1R over unmodded D5000 by quite a margin.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I liked MDR-1R better than MD with Dog Pads, more air, details in the mids and sparkle at the top. With Alpha pads I inclined to say that MD do better but absolute difference is not that great and if you are concerned with style and driving them unamped I would wholeheartedly recommend MDR-1R. Dogs need a lot of juice to sound as good as Sony unamped, straight out of DAP even that the volume is listenable they sound very flat and bland, like something played in another room, no dynamics at all.

In case anyone wondered I did prefer MDR-1R over unmodded D5000 by quite a margin.

I'm going to be using a C&C BH with a LOD from my iphone 4

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 10
I guess I need to get my Denons MarkL'ed then..

By the way  already like the stock denons better that the stock T50RPs.

I like the stock D7000 better than the Mad dogs..  

I'll get the D5000 mod first, then I'll see If I should get the mod on the D7000.

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

blink.gif

If you like the big bass, though, unmodded D5000s are fantastic. I know I loved mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back