d5000 or dt770 or other
May 6, 2015 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

theweezle

Head-Fier
So to start off i live in japan, which skews the prices of many headphones.  Audio technica, denon, and others are quite cheap over here.  this is pertinent to the fact that the dt770s are a similar price to the rest of the world.

I am looking for a good pair of closed headphones, specifically to stop the sound from leaking.  I need them for use in my lab. I will have someone about 0.5 meters behind me and another 1 meter to my right.  Currently,  I can buy a used pair of d5000 for about  150 USD or the dt770 for about 160 usd... on top of that, i can get the 80 or 32 or 250 ohm for around the same price.  I will be listening to a lot of classic rock.  I already have a carat topaz dac/amp as well as an e17, one will stay at home and one will be in the lab.  My old ad900x sounded really nice to me, but i recently got promoted, and now have people working under me, and in the same room, and i do not want to distract them with my music.  

I do like a little bass, but i really enjoy mids.  

Im looking to spend less that 200, but that number is flexible.  

Sorry for my english.  

May 6, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 8
The D5000 is the far better can, but it leaks a bit.  In the USA a used one costs 2x that amount.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

The DT 770 has a "V' shaped EQ with very recessed mids--much more than the D5000.

May 6, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 8
How badly does it leak…previously I was using my modded fostex t50rp in the lab…but people could hear it even though I taped the holes… this is the main reason im still searching… my qc15 could work…but they hurt my ears…so i use them for travel only now… i dont need the noise cancelling…just the level of leakage they provide is good…hopefully the new choice would have better quality

May 6, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 8
How badly does it leak…previously I was using my modded fostex t50rp in the lab…but people could hear it even though I taped the holes… this is the main reason im still searching… my qc15 could work…but they hurt my ears…so i use them for travel only now… i dont need the noise cancelling…just the level of leakage they provide is good…hopefully the new choice would have better quality

Probably too much for the very close quarters you have described.  However, the volume of your music and sensitivity to it of the people close to you are variables for which I have not data or even a feel.

May 7, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 8

I would certainly be better, but I have never been in such a tight working environment--with or without headphones.

well Its japan.. i can literally reach out ant touch 3 different people without moving my body....

It was nice, i had the whole lab to myself before, and the whole rest of the team was in another country... but now they filled 2 of the 3 vacant spots...

if you had to recommend any headset for the purposes of stopping the leakage, what would you use?

May 7, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 8

I would certainly be better, but I have never been in such a tight working environment--with or without headphones.

well Its japan.. i can literally reach out ant touch 3 different people without moving my body....

It was nice, i had the whole lab to myself before, and the whole rest of the team was in another country... but now they filled 2 of the 3 vacant spots...

if you had to recommend any headset for the purposes of stopping the leakage, what would you use?

Without consideration of budget (or knowing the prices in Japan), I'd consider the Sony MDR 7520 and some AKG's that fully cover the ear, like the AKG K 550, 551 & 553.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back