D5000, good for jazz?
Aug 14, 2008 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pleathercups

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Ultrasone HFI-700s which are outstanding for Jazz and Classical music. Unfortunately, Pop and Rock sound mushy and diffused with the bass just spilling all over the mids. Additionally, they are too small for a comfortable fit. I have read quite a bit in this forum about the Denon D5000s as to their sound and comfort. Any experience with them listening to various types of music?

Oh, I should mention that my source is my computer and my amp is a Total Bithead.

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 12
The D5000s are great for jazz... or just about anything... if... you've got a matching source and matching amp (i.e. low impedance, high current output).

It may actually be "The World's Best..."

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 12
I would disagree, since I find their rendering of piano and sax to be poor. Had a pair and sold them. Yes, my primary listening tends to be jazz, and most often the female jazz singers. My weapons of choice are: semi-vintage RS-1(flats, tube amp), Joe Grado HP-2, and 32ohm Darths for this music.........other genres, other things. For example I do think D5000 are fine for pop/rock........modded k340 for Symphonies, opera. General easy listenin' - X-Deep Darths (also bring interesting new life to some symp;honic recordings), dt990/600.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would disagree, since I find their rendering of piano and sax to be poor. Had a pair and sold them. Yes, my primary listening tends to be jazz, and most often the female jazz singers. My weapons of choice are: semi-vintage RS-1(flats, tube amp), Joe Grado HP-2, and 32ohm Darths for this music.........other genres, other things. For example I do think D5000 are fine for pop/rock........modded k340 for Symphonies, opera. General easy listenin' - X-Deep Darths (also bring interesting new life to some symp;honic recordings), dt990/600.

Interesting comment BushGuy. I can agree that stock and/or unburnt-in MD5000 may have a rather incorrect piano timbre, kind of "clingy" if that's an English term, putting more emphasis on the attack and the string-mallet part of the note than in the wood resonance and decay of the notes.
However their performance if modded and properly burnt-in for about 250+ hours is quite satisfactory. IMHO the MD5000 are very versatile cans and do jazz as well as orchestral classical or pop. I won't disagree though that HP-2 are great for jazz too, but the RS-1... I can't stand their rendition of saxophones and most brass horns.

Rgrds

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 12
Modded D5000 was not addressed, and frankly, I have no experience with the more recent modded versions. When I referred to Piano rendition - it was to unrealistic timbre in a significant number of otherwise well-reproduced recordings that do well with other headphones.........annoying enough to part with them for their insufficiency....whilst I have been satisfied with my Grado's and Beyer-derived 'phones. Sorry, I don't play enough rock/pop to find the Denon's satisfactory to me.......and my tender (and otherwise well-experienced ears). But they're my ears and I will suffer with them
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 12
I don't think the Denons are not capable of presenting certain timbres - such as piano or sax - relatively truthfully. I listen quite a lot to acoustic jazz and haven't noticed any serious coloration in that regard.
But when you do have a problem with your HFI-700s and mushy and diffused bass you may also have a problem with the Denons, as they are quite on the lush side - which can be nice, but I wish the D5000s bass had a bit more focus now and then.

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 12
Stock D5000 is definitely terrible for jazz...I don't know What was going on, but on one of the records I was listening to things sounded like everything was wrapped in gold, shiny and all, but just that. Shiny and yellow.

Can't comment on the modded version, but you might want to do some more research. Once you start talking proper amp / source suggested here for the modded version, (and including the price) your market of available equipment gets larger and larger...and there are some excellent headies alot of people don't acknowledge these days.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 12
Having an amp you have a wide variety of cans to choose from. Sennheiser HD600 or 650 are good performers playing jazz, not so good on pop/rock. AKG K701 do pretty well, they're not my favourite but I like them better than the Ultrasone HFI2200 ULE.
You might enjoy the Grado RS-1, I don't like their timbric rendition on some instruments, but they have that "rythmic" drive that makes swing really swinging.
I like my modded D5000 on jazz, as I said in my previous post, but you might dislike them like BushGuy. Who knows, the worst part of this hobby is not knowing what suits you best until you listen to it.

Rgrds

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 12
HD600, K701, Stax SR-303/404 - depends on your budget and already existing equipment. ATH-AD2000 works nice with small groups, but I would not use it for big-band jazz or orchestral music.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Remember that, specifically, you do not need/want a huge soundstage for music that is most often played in a club by a small group of musicians........that is part of the reason why the recomendations I made in previous post works well. You require a reletively in-your-face presentation, and accurate representation of the instrumentation/voice. All sizes do NOT fit all. You have to be specific to the genre.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D5000s are great for jazz... or just about anything... if... you've got a matching source and matching amp (i.e. low impedance, high current output).

It may actually be "The World's Best..."

My thoughts exactly! If it weren't for the mighty JVC DX1000, I'd call it my #1 favorite. I particularly like it for jazz orchestras. It's got everything: "weight", dynamics, accuracy, detail, air...you name it! Well, almost! Just not the very best soundstaging money can buy, but still very good.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back