D5000 Custom Cup Damping Question
Nov 29, 2009 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sektr

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm ordering some custom cups from Lawton Audio soon, and free damping of the cups is offered. I'm not really sure what damping the cups would do, so I thought I would ask here.

Do you guys think I should have them damped, or sent to me without damping?

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 9
FWIR [in general], dampening improves bass response and tightness.

It wouldn't hurt.
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 9
Nov 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 9
I did not care for it- seemed to brighten the sound.
Edit: I am referring to the filling of the cups, not lining them.
Edit #2: I undid all the mods except the frame dampening as I figured that couldn't do any harm to leave (plus tough to remove). The matting I had was shiny (generic dynamat) and I felt it added some reverb in the cup.

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 9
I do like the stock bass, however I feel it could use some tightening, NOT REDUCING, just tightening. A slight reduction isn't a big deal though.

If I decide to damp the cups should I just get the whole markl mod done, or is it kind of a "meeting halfway" thing? Because I don't want the full markl mod.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Here's a bump for you, I'd like to know people's opinions on this too. Can't decide whether to markl mod or not.

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 9
Hi,
It's a common mis-conception that when you damp the phones as laid out in the mod instructions that there is some loss of actual musical bass information. Nothing is done to the driver itself, it's still reproducing all the frequencies as normal. All that has been done is to increase the rigidity of the frame in which the driver sits. This means that the driver can no longer dissipate and release as much bass energy throughout the frame/assembly causing unwanted resonances and vibrations. Now all that bass information is more focused, tighter, faster and harder hitting as it has fewer places to release that energy except where it's supposed to. Yes, you lose some the tactile vibrations on your skull and whoopie cushion effect, but that's just the frame resonating, not musical bass information.

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
It's a common mis-conception that when you damp the phones as laid out in the mod instructions that there is some loss of actual musical bass information. Nothing is done to the driver itself, it's still reproducing all the frequencies as normal. All that has been done is to increase the rigidity of the frame in which the driver sits. This means that the driver can no longer dissipate and release as much bass energy throughout the frame/assembly causing unwanted resonances and vibrations. Now all that bass information is more focused, tighter, faster and harder hitting as it has fewer places to release that energy except where it's supposed to. Yes, you lose some the tactile vibrations on your skull and whoopie cushion effect, but that's just the frame resonating, not musical bass information.

I've heard from various sources/reviews that the markl mod changes the overall sound of the D5000s quite a bit from their stock sound, rather than just taming the bass and bringing out the mids. It seems to be a love it or hate it thing, which I suppose is true with any cans.

Then again, some people say that if you love the stock D5000 sound that the markl mod is just more of the same but better, while others say that it changes it into a completely new headphone. I think that this is what has so many people debating whether or not to go through with the mods.

Would you say that for people who don't want too much change in the sound of the D5Ks, and just want to tighten up that bass a bit, would get along just fine with damping the cups, or would a more drastic mod be necessary to really understand what the markl mod does?

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 9
Hi Necrolic,
Thank you for your question, but I'm unable to answer here. Feel free to use our Sponsored Threads forum thread.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back