D5000 Amp for compy
Apr 5, 2008 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Exediron

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I posted this in the headphone area a while back but got no replies, but maybe I'll have more luck here, so here goes...

OK, so I got a Denon AH-D5000 for my home computer. First I tried it out with my laptop and it's amp (A Headroom Total AirHead) and it sounded great, even from 128 kps files, so I figured 'Great! It's got to sound even better on a computer with 24 bit files!'.

Well, when I plugged it into the computers amp (SU-G50), it sounded really distant and generally kinda faint. I need to crank it up about halfway to get any decent volume out of it, and then I basically heard only the bass. So I figured that basically the Technics amp is too cold, and the Denons want a warmer amp. So basically I'm looking for amp suggestions.

I've heard that tube amps are really good for these, so I'm looking at those, but any suggestions are welcome. My budget is anywhere from 1000 on down, although preferebly lower rather then higher. If you can think of any other pieces of equipment that would really help, then feel free.

My current setup is Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music > SU-G50 > Denon AH-D5000.

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 4
Welcome to Mapletree Audio Design

look at the bottom of that page and try that amp. also, consider a better sound card if yours is so so...

i think you'll want to keep that amp away from the pc. i think tube amps pic EM distortion easily if i remember correctly.

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 4
Do you think that an external DAC would have the same/better effect then a sound card upgrade? Because I want to keep the X-Fi for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back