D4 Mamba or PB1 Toucan for DT770/80 basshead listener
Jul 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dyce

Head-Fier
will the ibasso D4 or PB1 help me exceed dangerous amounts of bass in my dt770? im looking for something that will be considerably better than a mini3. I understand the d4 has a DAC in it. Does having a DAC kill the stand alone amp functionality? Like the FiiO E7, the standalone amp is horrible unless used with the DAC. 

I have a NuForce Icon Mobile with sounds crap when used as an amp but way better when used as a dac. Doesnt have line out though but they claim its fine to connect to line out devices (doesnt make sense to me).

I just want to finish my amp hunt and get something that will utilize the DT770 100% and give me the bass that makes the headphones feel like they are vibrating off your head like on my Ath-M50s.

Thanks for your help everyone.

EDIT: From a Sansa Clip+ as the source. thanks
the balanced xlr output can drive better than the 3.5mm out?

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
will the ibasso D4 or PB1 help me exceed dangerous amounts of bass in my dt770? im looking for something that will be considerably better than a mini3. I understand the d4 has a DAC in it. Does having a DAC kill the stand alone amp functionality? Like the FiiO E7, the standalone amp is horrible unless used with the DAC. 

I have a NuForce Icon Mobile with sounds crap when used as an amp but way better when used as a dac. Doesnt have line out though but they claim its fine to connect to line out devices (doesnt make sense to me).

I just want to finish my amp hunt and get something that will utilize the DT770 100% and give me the bass that makes the headphones feel like they are vibrating off your head like on my Ath-M50s.

Thanks for your help everyone.

EDIT: From a Sansa Clip+ as the source. thanks
the balanced xlr output can drive better than the 3.5mm out?

The D4 can be used both as a stand-alone DAC or a stand-alone amp.  Of course it can be fed directly from USB and play through the amplifier.  Both the DAC and the amplifier sections are highly capable performers. 

The PB1 outputs much greater power than does the D4.  It will drive nearly any dynamic phone to dangerous levels of volume. 

The D4 uses an ordinary 9v battery or USB power, selectable by the user.  The PB1 uses an internal 12.6v lithium battery. 
The balanced output of the PB1 can swing 25.2 volts vs 12.6 through the 3.5mm output.

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 16
Thanks that was very helpful, one last question though. Sansa Clip+ 3.5mm to the PB1 and an adapter from the XLR balanced to 3.5mm to my DT770 will that get me the max 1400mW? or does it not work because the ground channels become combined again resulting in the same power if it were coming from the 3.5mm jack?

it says D4 will output: Up to 230mW+230mW into 32Ω
it says PB1 will :        Up to 1400mW into 32Ω

for 3.5mm, the PB1 will do only 700mW? so i guess thats considerably better than the D4? is there anything i am missing? Thanks again.

Quote:

The D4 can be used both as a stand-alone DAC or a stand-alone amp.  Of course it can be fed directly from USB and play through the amplifier.  Both the DAC and the amplifier sections are highly capable performers. 

The PB1 outputs much greater power than does the D4.  It will drive nearly any dynamic phone to dangerous levels of volume. 

The D4 uses an ordinary 9v battery or USB power, selectable by the user.  The PB1 uses an internal 12.6v lithium battery. 
The balanced output of the PB1 can swing 25.2 volts vs 12.6 through the 3.5mm output.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Thanks that was very helpful, one last question though. Sansa Clip+ 3.5mm to the PB1 and an adapter from the XLR balanced to 3.5mm to my DT770 will that get me the max 1400mW? or does it not work because the ground channels become combined again resulting in the same power if it were coming from the 3.5mm jack?

it says D4 will output: Up to 230mW+230mW into 32Ω
it says PB1 will :        Up to 1400mW into 32Ω

for 3.5mm, the PB1 will do only 700mW? so i guess thats considerably better than the D4? is there anything i am missing? Thanks again.

Yes, you will get the full output from the PB1 whenever you use the balanced output, regardless of whether the input is via balanced or 3.5mm.   Only when using the SE output will the voltage swing be halved. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 16
i'm waiting on a pb1 and a pair of d5000s, do you guys think that there would be much benefit using the xlr to 3.5mm adapter for the extra power as described above? or should the SE halved output be plenty?

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 16
The SE output will drive your D5000s just fine, but reterminating them to use the balanced output of the Toucan will significantly improve soundstage and imaging as well as providing the additional voltage. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 16
do you think that'd hold true for a SE dac tho? i currently have a pico dac and have yet to order a boomslang. though it's definitely a possibility
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 16
Using the SE input to the Toucan still yields a very nice balanced output.  Adding the balanced input from the Boomslang just takes it to the next level.  Most noticeable differences are the

stability of imaging and the added dimension to the soundstage.  You need to compare both back and forth to really appreciate the differences. 

Ron

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 16
Guys, IMO both the D5000 and DT770 are overall easy loads that the Toucan Amp can handle w/o any issues. Just tested a Grado and a Denon D2000 w/ MarkL Mods, Bubinga V4 Wood Cups, and an XEV re-cable by Zynsonix and both cans sounded very nice. The volume pot did not go above 9 0'clock. Good luck.

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 16
good to know, thanks! i'll be sure to post some impressions when i get mine this week. i feel like i'm the only one who's going to be using a toucan and NOT a boomslang, but i'm interested to hear how it pairs with my pico dac
smile_phones.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 16

what type of cable to i need to use the balanced output? i have no idea what its called. when i search balanced xlr or 6pin xlr the pins dont make a circular pattern like as shown.

help me out please, i just want to be able to use a 3.5mm adapter out of the balanced output to get maximum power.

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:

what type of cable to i need to use the balanced output? i have no idea what its called. when i search balanced xlr or 6pin xlr the pins dont make a circular pattern like as shown.

help me out please, i just want to be able to use a 3.5mm adapter out of the balanced output to get maximum power.

You need a Hirose connector.  Here it is: 

You will need an adapter cable consisting of the Hirose plug and a female 1/8" mini plug.   You can DIY or perhaps order what you need made up from Craig at Whiplash Audio.   You can order the Hirose connectors from electronic parts suppliers such as Newark or Digikey.   You could also order them from iBasso. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back